Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Reality Check

If you read my post last Tuesday about how fun it was to be "in the mix" at the front of a race rather than watching it from 20 seconds or more behind-well, I was back to watching on Sunday. I ended up 13th overall, here are the results if anyone is interested. I ran 27:23 for 8K, which is about 5:30 per mile pace. This was 13 seconds off my best from last year, but it was the culmination of a 95 mile week (couldn't get the last 5 miles done in the evening for an even 100, reasons below). I placed 4th in my age group, so no free shoes for me this time. I ran strong for the last two miles, which is where I ran out of gas last time, so I feel good about my endurance. This is only the second time I've run at 5:30 pace or below this season (the other time was the race last week), so I really can't be too disappointed.

It was a strange race with a very odd vibe. Eddy Hellebuyck is apparently living in Tucson and training an elite group of Kenyan athletes. His athletes destroyed the field, and I finished three minutes off the winner's time. Losing to elite athletes isn't a big deal to me, but having Eddy at the race coaching them bothered me. For those of you who don't know Eddy, he is a Belgian masters racer who used to live in New Mexico. He holds masters records for the 5K, 10K, 15K, 10 mile and marathon. That is, he did until he was busted for using EPO. Doping is the epitome of taking the easy way out, and just having someone like Eddy in town kind of rankles me. I don't mean to take anything away from his athletes, they ran superbly. However, I could never train under someone who was suspended for doping, as I think it reflects on the character of the man. The Lydiard method is about putting the effort in, year in and year out, and it is not easy. When I toe the line at a race I expect a level playing field, and I want to believe it when Arthur said "It's not the best athlete that wins, it's the best-prepared athlete". When I think of all the clean athletes that Eddy beat to get those records, it saddens me, because it makes what Lydiard said impossible. OK, enough, I'm getting down from my soap-box.

On a positive note, my daughter Haiden turned three this weekend, and we had a nice party at the house with a ton of nutty kids and parents. Afterwards, our family, my brother, his wife and three kids, and my parents had a little pizza party to celebrate my Dad turning 60. Things dragged out a bit long, especially since the race was the same day, but I think everyone had a great time. My parents live about two hours away, so we don't get to see them as often as we would like, but it's always fun when we do. My Dad doesn't really understand my running (he told me I would pee blood after my first marathon), but he always came out to my cross-country meets in high school.

I'm glad these two races are done, now I can get to finishing my conditioning work before going on to my hill phase. Thanks for reading.

Training: Sunday, 9 miles. Race plus one mile warm-up and three mile cool-down
Monday, 10 miles 7:20 pace
Tuesday, 22 miles 7:15 pace-This one hurt me a bit. Hopefully all singles for 100 this week.
Total miles last week: 95 with 9 sessions

2 comments:

Mark said...

Great race off of great mileage.

Andrew said...

Mike,

You have great speed. I haven't run 5:30 over any length since I was a teenager. I'd like to do it again but not at the expense of the marathon. I really enjoy the marathon distance as opposed to the lung burn of a 5K. What are your plans for mileage when you leave the conditioning phase? Will you run doubles keeping the mileage relatively high?