Thursday, September 15, 2005

So this is blogging?

I started my journey about a month after our second child was born, which in hindsight wasn't such a good idea. Here's the short story- For the past few years I have been what I would call a decent club runner. Anywhere from 40-70 miles a week, some tempo runs and some shorter/faster track work. I generally finish in the top ten percent at local races from 5k on to the marathon. I've read a few training books by Jack Daniels, Pete Pfitzinger and some others, and I read Running Times/Runners World. I've pretty much trained the way people around me have, and I've enjoyed some limited success.

As I've meandered into my mid-30's, I've started to wonder just how good I could be at this sport, and maybe more importantly, how long do I have to improve before age starts taking its toll. Time inevitably marches on, and I will start slowing down. I don't know how I will deal with it, but I'm thinking facing that reality will be easier if I know in my heart I did all I could to exploit the talent I do have and became the best runner I could be while at the peak of my abilities.

So how do I do it? What's the secret? It's a question every competitive runner asks, and each finds their own answer. I sifted through countless articles, read and re-read my training books, read/posted/argued at letsrun.com, and I kept finding myself drawn towards one man.

His name is Arthur Lydiard. If you discuss training with anyone you've probably tossed his name around. He's dead now, which makes my task immeasurably more difficult than it might have been. I'll be writing about him quite a bit on this blog, along with details of my training, and certainly some musings on my family and life in general. But like a run, the hardest step is the first one out the door. This is mine.

Training: 6 miles a.m. with Haiden in the baby jogger, 4 miles p.m. (again with the jogger), all slow and easy

No comments: