Thursday, October 13, 2005

Get out of the bucket!

Ah, that was my mantra today on my 18 miler that was definitely 3 miles too long. I cycled quite a bit before I turned exclusively to running, and my shorter-than-average legs coupled with my longer-than-average arms and torso made me ride in a posture that was...well, peculiar comes to mind. I sort of slid my butt way back on the saddle and rode with a very relaxed seat-tube angle, pushing more with my glutes (back when I had them) and hamstrings and less with my quads. When I get tired I run like this, and Lydiard calls it "Running like you're sitting in a bucket". When I start to tire, and tire is putting it a little mildly today, I tend to start literally "dragging my butt", where your back straightens out, your hips lower, and you almost look like you're about to sit down with each step, shuffling with bent legs. When I start to do this I tell myself two things; "Get out of the bucket", and then something I read that Deena Kastor's husband tells her just before she starts an interval in a Running Times article, something like "chin level, head back, everything forward". Those words help me rotate my pelvis just a tad forward and lean my upper body just a little bit, which makes me lift my knees up (if I don't want to fall over). It also helps me come down a little more on my mid-foot and less on my heels. Driving with the knees hopefully gets me to straighten my rear leg on take-off. Oops, one thing at a time, remember yesterday.

Oh yeah, how could I forget yesterday's first hill effort? My calf muscles are tight-rope taut (they're thinning out though so maybe I should say "banjo string tight"), and my quads are feeling a little "thick". The muscles protest when I'm standing still, but they let me run without pain so I figure I'll make it through. It was the dreaded "bucket march" today, I just couldn't get my knees up and couldn't get any power into my strides. I ignored the watch and just had at it, trying to enjoy the cold, dark morning and the solitude it offers.

Lydiard says "Train don't strain", but new stimulus always produces some rebellion in my body. Hopefully I can get in at least 4 hill circuits tomorrow, along with the prescribed sets of windsprints. I'm hoping to keep my mileage within 10% of what I've done for the conditioning phase, so it's definitely more of a workload when I factor in all the "ups" of the hills. Tomorrow I send in all my winter race registrations (I updated my upcoming races in the sidebar), so there will be no turning back.

Training: 18 miles, 2:10:55, 7:16 pace, ass-dragging march but a nice day for it

1 comment:

D said...

"Ass-dragging" at a 7:16 pace....impressive.... :)