Monday, October 24, 2005

Half-way there

Well, half-way through the hills now, and thank goodness! Don't get me wrong, I am (for the most part) enjoying the workouts, but last week was very tough mentally (see the previous post). I also moved up my long run from Tuesday to today, so it followed a longer hill day yesterday (I will take it easy on the hills tomorrow).

So today's 22 miler was pretty good all-told, though I almost missed doing it after sleeping an hour past my alarm. My wife and daughter have a "Tucson Mom's" playgroup Monday, and luckly it was late enough today that I could still get out at 6:15 and make it back before they left to watch Finn. Speaking of Finn and my last post, many thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts and wishes. We're all feeling better about things after being able to digest the news for a few days, and as anyone with kids knows, it can always be much worse! Today he took a micro-morning nap, so he's in my lap right now (yes this should be a short post).

I'm 14 weeks into my Lydiard program now, and there are 12 more weeks to go. The longest I've ever trained for a marathon previously is 18 weeks, so I'm taking some comfort in the fact that I still have a ways to go (and plenty of time to get faster and more efficient) before the race.

I'm racing a 10 miler on Saturday of this week (which is why I bumped the long run up a day), so this week should be interesting. I was originally going to back off a bit and do a very short taper, but I've decided to keep the volume the same and just train through the event. I emailed Glenn McCarthy about tapering and he was the one to suggest I try to keep the volume the same, and I think he's right. In "Running to the Top" or one of the interviews I read with Arthur, he said the same thing, that "earlier in the season people will be passing you, but you will be ahead of them when it counts, at the end of the season" or something to that effect.

Nobby, who has been of great help to me, reminds me to be careful at this phase, especially with the additional stresses our family is going through. The legs do feel a little tender after two tough days, so I will take his advice to heart.

Training: Sunday, 12 miles, 1:41:09, 8:25 pace. 4 hill circuits plus longer cooldown
Total Miles: 96 in 7 sessions
Monday: 22 miles, 2:31:58, 6:54 pace. Ate two gels, felt pretty good but left iliopsoaz a little sore (maybe from sleeping on my side)

8 comments:

Andrew said...

You are doing great Mike! After Sunday's marathon, I plan on spending a year and a half working on my aerobic base. I think I need to move my LT quite a bit to be significantly faster. As usual, you're an inspiration.

Scooter said...

Mike,
Regarding Finn, I will suggest that you get Dale Carnegie's book entitled "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living." I've suggested it to others who were going through trying times and have gotten thanks consistently.
Keep your spirits up, do your mileage and concntrate on what really matters (family, job and training - in that order).

Zeke said...

Hmm Scooter, it's family, training and job for me.

Scooter said...

Zeke, if you're a single guy, w/o a mortgage (or a small one) that order might be OK.

Zeke said...

No I have a family and a (large enough) mortgage. I just enjoy training more than I enjoy my job. Heck, I can lose my job tomorrow and find another one. It wouldn't be the first time.

The way companies treat people today, I won't put my "career" ahead of things that I enjoy.

Mike said...

Thanks Andrew, enjoy the marathon (wow, a novel concept!) and good luck with the base training. It sounds to me like you are on the right track.

Scooter and Zeke, thanks for the comments. I am a bit of a worrier, but thankfully I have a stable job (I've been involved with the same company since '89 when I started college), so work isn't much of a worry. And Zeke, just got the Daws book delivered today, thanks for helping me add to my Quicken "Mike's running" category.

Zeke said...

As for the running expense in Quicken, at least I didn't tell you to buy Daws's Self-Made Olympian. That runs about $60 for a book that cost $3.50 nearly 30 years ago. Put that on your Christmas list. :-)

Dawn - Pink Chick said...

Good luck with your training