Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Have you hugged your toilet today?

About an hour after my post yesterday my stomache started to complain. I ate a turkey sandwich with some veggies and pita chips, even though I didn't really want to, since I'd just ran 22 miles yesterday morning. After putting both the kids down for nap, I decided to go into town to pick up another pair of running shoes. About two miles down the road I started getting the cold, clammy sweats, and it was apparent something was really wrong. Of course, since I have so little time off and I need shoes, I pressed on instead of going home to rest while everyone was sleeping. First mistake.

At the running shop the sales staff was quite amused to see me leaning over on the glass sales counter, trying to keep my stomache at bay. If I threw up there I would never hear the end of it, though they offered their bathroom for the cause. I couldn't let the bathroom I use to change in for the occasional Wednesday night social run become "the bathroom Mike puked in", so I sucked it up and drove home.

Luckily, the kids were still asleep, so I was able to throw up a few times and crawl into bed for a bit. I thought back to the night before, the lovely meal we had out at DUM-DUM-DUMMMM, the Olive Garden. We hadn't been there in 3 years or so, but it was across the street from where we stopped to buy a kite for Haiden (which I promised to do), and I do like the salad and breadsticks. Finn slept the whole time, Haiden was good, and the meal itself wasn't too bad...or so I had thought. Eat local people, I won't be going back to this chain again.

After the kids got up, Kiera offered to take them both out until we had to meet my brother and his family for dinner at their place, but I had promised to take Haiden to fly the kite so we split up, with me and Haiden going to the park. The fresh air actually felt good, but running with the kite in my condition was difficult. We did have fun, and we went on to meet everyone for dinner. There I ate two bites of salad, and I knew that would be it for me.

I took Finn home, leaving Kiera and Haiden to eat and play, put him to bed, and raced back to the porcelain for some serious food-throwing. Then off to bed groaning, so much so that Kiera, after putting Haiden down later, decided to retire on the couch in order to get some peace. Finally, I slept the sleep of the just.

At 5 or so Finn woke, and amazingly enough I was feeling better. I fed him, then caught another hour of sleep before Haiden got up. When she did, I still felt fine. The night before Kiera had said, "Now if you get up tomorrow and drink a cup of coffee and go on your run, I'll be very disappointed in you". Well, she was disappointed, it was a hill day and I felt like it was a test of my commitment to the cause. I did feel a little woozy on the first repeat, and I did have to take a little break in the bushes, but other than feeling very hungry and tired I was fine. I'm thankful it was just a short stomache bug, or possibly a mild case of food-poisoning, and I do feel equal amounts of satisfaction for flying that kite and running those hills when I really probably shouldn't have. I wonder what Lydiard would have done?

Training: 10 miles, 1:25:27, 8:33 pace. 4 hill circuits at about 13 minutes each, 3 minutes uphill effort.

4 comments:

Thomas Sørensen said...

That is what I call dedication to the training. Because of the mental strength this has given you, you will reach your next goal. Think of this day when it sucks in a race, then think "it doesn't suck as much as that day in the running store, and I ran Lyduard Hills the day after that"

Andrew said...

Your wife's commment was much more temperate than what my wife says in similar circumstances!

Thomas said...

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm actually with your wife on this one. I think you should be more careful about running when not in proper shape.

Mike said...

It's hard to know for sure if it was a good decision to run, but today I'm feeling fine so hopefully I didn't do any damage. My wife is understanding, and she knows me well enough to understand when I'm determined to do something I usually will do it, whether or not it's a good idea (standing on the edge of a roof with a chainsaw in a windstorm trying to hack off a thigh-width branch that was hitting the house comes to mind).