Friday, December 16, 2005

Tagged?? Or, The Madness Stops Here!

Angie "tagged" me today, so I'm supposed to write five things about myself and tag five others. I'll do the former since I ignored my first tag months ago, but I'll skip the latter. I figure blogs are pretty much ego-fueled anyway, so we're always sharing things about ourselves.

Here we go, the guy I used to be:

1. 213 pounds at 6'2", back in my "Fat Elvis" days. In 1998 I returned to Tucson after spending a year and a half in Portland. I was broke, drinking too much and grossly overweight. I would buy two large "Little Caesar's" pizzas for $10 and a 12-pack of Ice House beer. I would drink 3 beers and eat half a pizza for four nights straight (then usually go out for more drinks).

2. My ambition since age 16 was to be a musician. I had a band called Star Crunch for years (1992-1996, then again for a year in 98), where I was the singer/songwriter/guitarist. There's a link at the bottom of the sidebar of the blog that has a song from our '94 CD (mp3). We even did two tours, with a van and everything, during the summers of '93 and '94.

3. My wife Kiera and I did a triathlon relay on the morning of our wedding five years ago. Kiera did the cycling, and I did the swim and run. This was after I did the race once already by myself. This made for a very-long but fantastic day!

4. I'll eat almost everything except olives and mushrooms. It's a texture thing.

5. I'm a southpaw, but for some reason I only bat right-handed. When I was cut from my high-school baseball team my dad was crushed. He was bothered that instead of coming home and sulking I wanted to go out with my friends. He gave me a poem he cut out from the newspaper, called "The Man in the Mirror", by Dale Wimbrow, which I just found through google.

When you get what you want in your struggle for self,
And the world makes you King for a day,
Then go to the mirror and look at yourself,
And see what that guy has to say.
For it isn't your Father, or Mother, or Wife,
Who judgement upon you must pass.
The feller whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the guy staring back from the glass.
He's the feller to please, never mind all the rest,
For he's with you clear up to the end,
And you've passed your most dangerous, difficult test
If the guy in the glass is your friend.
You may be like Jack Horner and "chisel" a plum,
And think you're a wonderful guy,
But the man in the glass says you're only a bum
If you can't look him straight in the eye.
You can fool the whole world down the pathway of years,
And get pats on the back as you pass,
But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
If you've cheated the man in the glass.

I think back to this poem often, especially now that I have children of my own. Also, it turned out that getting cut turned out to be a great thing for me. My dad forced me to run track, and I was too slow to have a chance at any of the shorter events, so I started running both the mile and two mile. Funny how things work out.

No comments: