Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Getting Back

I felt a bit more like myself today, and I made it eight whole miles this morning. I'm able to bring my legs up a bit more (higher knees and higher kick-back), and at times (especially on dirt downhills) I momentarily forgot the soreness and opened up the tiniest bit.

Somewhere inside, underneath the sore muscles is what should be a fairly fit individual. Arthur Lydiard writes that when the legs are sore, it's better just jog slowly, regardless of what the schedule says, and to keep doing so until the legs feel fresh. This is easy advice to take this week.

If all goes well, I'm shooting for 90 minutes or so on Sunday, then on to Lydiard's "race" schedule for a few weeks if the body is willing. I'm still hoping to do a 10K January 29 and a 5K on February 26 if I can hang on to my fitness for that long. We'll see.

Training: 8 miles, 59:32, 7:26 pace

4 comments:

Scooter said...

Mike,
Given the difficulty described in the last 10K of your marathon, I was unsure of how long it would take you to come back to a reasonable level. It sounds like you're going to be back to relative normal within another week. That's great to hear! Don't push it too much, too fast.

tb1 said...

I think you'll be OK. You have your mentors and online coaches that seem to keep you on track.

With that said, I raced often after my half-marathon last year and recorded some PRs in the 5K and 8K. I had fun with the conditioning that I had built up. I am going to do it again in the coming months. After all that work, I believe you need more than one race to try out your new level of fitness. I also took May off to rest for marathon training. Anyways, have fun racing. Isn't that part of what all this is about?

The Last Runner said...

The Race-Recovery Rule

For each mile that you race, allow one day of recovery before returning to hard training or racing.

That means no speed workouts or racing for six days after a 10-K or 26 days after a marathon. The rule's originator was the late Jack Foster, the masters marathon world record holder (2:11:18) from 1974 to 1990. Foster wrote in his book, Tale of the Ancient Marathoner, "My method is roughly to have a day off racing for every mile I raced."

olga said...

Rules are to be broken. If you visit marathonguide.com and look at the top 20 marathoners, they've ran and placed top 3 many more than once. There is a group of marathon maniacs, and many made it to this list. A girl ran 3 hr marathons every weekend, sometimes getting a PR as the next one rolled around. Rules? Listen to your body, and if it says - race, then go for it. Then again, if it says - go to h* - take some time and get back on track!