Sunday, January 15, 2006

Only Something You Love Can Hurt You This Much


My hair hurts, my skin hurts, my eyeballs hurt. I dug as deeply as I could, and I ran two seconds to the good. 2:39:58 chip time, 27th overall, second in my age group, third Arizonan. I'm sure anyone who reads marathoner blogs is sick of the tale of how difficult the last 6 miles were, but prepare yourself for another installment of the same tomorrow.

I am utterly spent after driving back from Phoenix to Tucson (120 miles) and having to stop to get yet another flat tire fixed, and I want to spend some more time with the kids before bed, so that's it for now. Suffice it to say that while I don't think I executed the race as well as I might have, this was the hardest I've worked for something in my life, especially in the closing moments. And while my goal was an arbitrary time, the thoughts of it slipping away over the last six miles and my efforts to see it through take rank with the greatest disappointments and greatest joys of any personal journey I have embarked upon.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating. Running is the greatest sport in the world.

Racing: 26.2 miles, 2:39:58, 6:06 pace. I'm a sub-2:40 marathoner.

21 comments:

Love2Run said...

All right! A huge cheer goes up across blogland!! Way to go Mike!!! congrats ;-)

Hunter said...

Congratulation! Mike. Well done.

Eric said...

Great run, Mike! Congratulations!

robtherunner said...

Nice job Mike! I will keep an eye out for the race report once you get some rest, you deserve it.

Dallen said...

Again, Congratulations. I am sure that that 2 second gap represents immense suffering over the final miles. Looking forward to the full report.

Michael Jay Dotson said...

Outstanding!! Veni, vidi, vici!!!

angie's pink fuzzy said...

Woo hoo!!!! Yay!!!!!

Looking forward to the report:)

Andrew said...

Well done! Congratulations! When I finally saw the update to your blog I quickly scanned the words for your time and breathed "Thank God!". We know you've work hard for it and it was such satisfaction to see it come true for you.

Bart said...

Mike, let me add my congratulations to those listed above! I've enjoyed following your training and look forward to reading the complete report.

Thomas said...

What a fantastic achievment, Mike. Congratulations! And if you stick with your Lydiard training, this won't be your lifetime PR either.

Thomas Sørensen said...

Congratulations!!!!!!
The report will be interest, I'm sure.

Duncan Larkin said...

Mike. WAY TO GO! 7+ minute PR! sub 2:40. You dug down deep when you had your 2:47, you did your homework, you learned from the best running coach of all time through research and analysis, and you put the miles and miles and miles in and you made it. I'm proud of you and your story. Don't stop at 2:39. Pick apart your training and race and you'll find more gems to take the PR down to dreamland.

Zeke said...

Great job, Mike. The website has your gun time at 2:39:58, but your chip is 5 seconds faster. I can't wait to read your report.

tb1 said...

I just saw your time this morning and the first thing that popped into my head was "You did it Mike. Awesome!!".
I was on pace to go under 4 hours but I didn't have the mental toughness that you had in the last 6 miles and I tanked. 4:07.52 But it was a memorable experience and I enjoyed it. You had a lot of fans pulling for you. Congratulations! I can't wait to hear the story.

olga said...

Wow!!! WHat a time! I am looking forward to read about those 6 miles- had my own 6 to relate:)

Christine said...

Congratulations Mike! This is amazing!

Scooter said...

Mike, congratulations! You did the work, you achieved the goal AND it sounds like your next goal is out there even now, as you said, "I don't think I executed the race as well as I might have". I, too, look forward to the report of the pain and misery of the last 6. Run, walk, and move to keep your recovery moving forward.

Dudi (Israel) said...

Congratulations Mike, first goal reached !!!
Time to move to your next goal :-)

Evan said...

Great stuff Mike. Enjoy the post-marathon downtime, and let us know what the next race will be. Chicago, October 22?

kconnor said...

You did better than you thought Mike. Active.com has you at 2:39:58 gun time and 2:39:53 chip time.

Paul said...

Great Job, Mike!

First year of Lydiard training and first goal achieved.