Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Coming Around Slow

Tough morning run after a late evening run. It felt like I was back to doing doubles, since I ran 8 last night because of missing a morning run while registering Haiden for school. Hmm, that sentence was quite long. Anyway, my planned 16 turned into 15 after a few unscheduled bathroom breaks. My stomache is giving me trouble (nerves), and for some reason my legs and hips just felt dog-tired. After running the first half at 7:15 pace I finished at 7:21 pace, so I was clearly running out of steam.

I was planning on starting more doubles this week, but since I'm still tired from last week and we will be entertaining Kiera's mom and step-dad for awhile starting tomorrow, doing evening runs would probably be considered anti-social as well as contributing to more fatigue. In Nobby's phone call he praised doubles as a way to loosen up the legs, which moves the blood around and contributes to better recovery. Arthur Lydiard obviously felt the same way. He was often quoted (by Ron Daws and others) as saying "Running twice a day sends the body a message." Unfortunately my body is sending me a message too-don't overdo things too much too soon.

On a more positive note, Nobby was kind enough to send me a copy of Garth Gilmour's "Arthur Lydiard-Master Coach" book. While I was on the phone with Nobby I was lamenting how while I thought I was getting better at interpreting Lydiard's training, I didn't have a very good grasp on the history of the man, his athletes, and his contemporaries. When I mentioned wanting to find the book, Nobby graciously announced he was sending me one.

I have just started looking through the book, and the pictures alone are amazing. The book also talks about just how giving Arthur was with his time and knowledge. He never asked to coach anyone, but he also never turned anyone away. Nobby, Lorraine Moller, and others involved in "Project Lydiard 21" are cast in this same mold, and I am most thankful for this.

Training: 15 miles, 1:50:08, 7:21 pace

2 comments:

Zeke said...

Mike, Evan has a copy of that book and he loaned it to me a few months ago. I found it interesting, but towards the end all the praising of Lydiard got a little old. I got to the point where it sounded like whomever Arthur came in contact with could have been a gold medalist - if he couldn't coached him just a little longer. I'll be interested to hear what you think

Zeke said...

That should say "could've" not "couldn't".