Sunday, February 19, 2006

A Good Week

Seven runs, seven days, 100 miles. I haven't managed this often, and I'm patting myself on the back for getting all the planned runs and mileage in during the past seven days. Today was 24 miles, and I decided to meet with a group for 100 minutes of it, since I know and respect the group leaders. The whole run came off slow, but it probably ended up helping me more psychologically to be able to run the last four miles fairly hard and still feel fine. I met at the rendezvous point about a half hour early to get in four miles before the group arrived. I ran these warm-up miles very relaxed at about a 7:20 pace. I spent the next 13 miles with the group and quickly found my average pace slipping to close to 8 minute miles, which is almost too slow for me to run comfortably. Since it wasn't my run I just went along, enjoying the nice conversation as the average pace finally got down to 7:50 or so. They turned off to head back at my 17 mile mark, and I spent the next 7 miles getting my average pace down to 7:38, which I can live with considering how the rest of the week went.

Now, am I improving? Here's a pace and mileage comparison from last week to this week, with days rearranged for clarity's sake-
Last week........................This Week
8 at 7:17.........................8 at 7:20
18 at 7:16.......................18 at 6:57
12 at 7:12.......................12 at 7:01
16 at 7:23.......................15 at 7:21
10 at 7:16.......................11 at 7:11
22 at 7:06.......................24 at 7:38
10 at 7:19.......................12 at 6:30
96 miles..........................100 miles

Yes, the long run was slow, but aside from that the paces are coming down a bit in general, and I did have a nice 12 miles at 6:30 pace. The 8 mile days are strictly recovery, so I don't worry too much about those paces. In fact, I rarely even do this kind of comparison because the numbers can be misleading. Nobby had mentioned (when I was being hard on myself earlier this week) that he thought I was running faster this time around when compared to my last build-up, and I'm sure he's right without digging up all the stats.

Anyway, I've proved to myself that I can run the miles, so hopefully now I can work on running them better...without forcing it. Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Training: 24 miles, 3:03:24, 7:38 pace
Miles for the week: 100 in 7 sessions

4 comments:

Duncan Larkin said...

Mike, there a very few of us that can say they did a 100 mile week in singles. I'm dying at it in doubles. WELL DONE. THIS is what it means to build a solid foundation. Who cares about pace at this stage for you--it will come as you move into the other phases. CONGRATS. Keep it up and stay motivated. Your logs are pushing all of us.

Johnny Lyons said...

If you ever want to do an ultramarathon, you're already doing more training than most of us. Great training Mike!

tb1 said...

Holy smokes Mike, you are incredible. That is some awesome mileage. I think part of the foundation you are building is coming from your first Lydiard session last year. You are on the next tier of building blocks and it appears to be a very solid structure. Look out SD. Thanks to Nobby about don't beat yourself up on the lows or beat your chest on the highs. I'm going through some lows myself. Keep up the good work.

angie's pink fuzzy said...

good job!!!