Sunday, February 12, 2006

Week One...Done

Whew, I thought my first week of real training for the San Diego marathon in June would never end. The running wasn't really the problem, it was more of a "no sleep and work all the time" test of resolve. Trying to run 100 miles at the same time just made things more fun.

Here's how things ended for week one of 17-
Planned..................Actual
M-22-28.................8, 7:17 pace
Tu-10.....................18, 7:16 pace
W-18......................12, 7:12 pace
Th-10.....................16, 7:23 pace
F-16.......................10, 7:16 pace
Sa-10.....................22, 7:06 pace
Su-12.....................10, 7:19 pace
Total: 98-104.........96

Lots of switching around, but I managed to keep the three "biggie" days, which Nobby reminded me was the most important part of Lydiard conditioning. Had one ruined long run after three hours of sleep on Thursday and one successful long run preceding 12+hours of art show on Saturday. I could have made today 14 for an even 100 if I killed myself this morning, but thought better of it, as it gave me more recovery and a chance to see the kids before day 8 of 13 straight spent at work.

My goal for the past week....survive. I ran slow, though not as slow as I thought I would. In general the paces are a bit faster than the first weeks the first time around with Lydiard training. Hopefully this is evidence of me finally starting to devolop a long-term aerobic base, and not just me running my recovery runs too fast.

The kids made up for the trouble they caused by sleeping through the night for two nights straight, which enabled me to survive yesterday's 22 miler (followed by the art show) and come back for 10 more miles and another day of work today. Sorry for the lack of posts, but work and having Kiera out of town for a few days (my mom came to stay and help with the kids) has kept me from the computer.

Hopefully some more thought-provoking Lydiard riffing in the coming week, and hopefully more miles too. I'm also hoping to catch up on all the blogs I've had to ignore for the past week.

Training: Friday:10 miles, 1:12:48, 7:16 pace
Saturday: 22 miles (finally), 2:35:56, 7:06 pace
Sunday: 10 miles, 1:13:10, 7:19 pace
Total miles for the week: 96 in 7 sessions

7 comments:

Scooter said...

Mike,
I have no doubt the faster pace is the base - you've never started a training cycle in sub-2:40 shape.

Thomas said...

You did amazingly well to cover 96 miles with all those work commitments. It's gonne get easier soon.

I like the idea of our kids going bowling together - that made me laugh, even early Monday morning.

Thomas Sørensen said...

Hi Mike, I was getting worried about you. The last post had a heading of "Too tired to type" and then silence for a week. Your resolve is impressive though. Rest assured that this week will be easier, slightly.

Christine said...

Hang in there!

Love2Run said...

Great start Mike! If you can manage this while tired and stressed, imagine if you didn't have so much on your plate. Keep it up ;-)

Joe said...

Impressive, Mike. For those of us for whom a 7:13 mile is a sprint, your milage at that pace is an inspiration!

I appreciate your discussions of Lydiad as well as your upates on the family. All important!!

angie's pink fuzzy said...

Damn!

Good job.