Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Crawling

It's still the same around here, though Kiera has started antibiotics she is still feeling quite rough. I'm missing s second day of work, and entering my 4th day of solo-parenting. This must end soon, for everyone's sake.

Through stubborn determination I did get out at 8:15pm or so for 9 miles in the low 7:20's. It was dark and I was feeling pretty sore in the glutes from riding the brakes down the hill after each repeat on Monday. This time around the calf muscles are fine, which is a sign that my body is getting more used to this uphill thing through my weekly hill runs during the conditioning phase.

As I ran away from the house with everyone asleep I was felt a wave of relief (from all the duties), followed by a garage-door of guilt closing on my head. Kiera does this daily somehow without complaint. I can't manage to feed the two of them while feeding myself, so my meals have been sporadic and out of synch (cereal for dinner at 9:30 last night comes to mind). The blood sugar roller coaster surely is affecting my moods, so I'm trying not to think about anything too deeply. I guess we both have our roles, but I seriously cannot wait to get back to work so I can get some rest.

Finn is crawling now, which is great but also terrifying. Lots of new things to put out of reach. What Finn likes to put in his mouth: newspapers, dirty tissues (or whatever is in the trash can), microscopic specs of food/dirt/other. What Finn likes to do: pull cable to computer from the baseboard, which pulls out coupling nails that are great to try and swallow. He also likes trying to crawl into the fireplace and trying to remove plastic outlet covers.

Time to read to Haiden, hope everyone is well out there.

Training: 9 miles, low 7:20 pace

6 comments:

Zeke said...

Fireplace? In Arizona?

Seriously, I hope everything returns to normal soon. I couldn't imagine 4 days of solo parenting either.

brian said...

B's not quite crawling yet, but he does like to roll all over the floor and try to put whatever he can find in his mouth. Plus, now he can move his walker on the carpet as well as the linoleum floor, so now we can't keep him in the kitchen. He and Puff both had some stomach problems last weekend but seem to be feeling better now, hopefully Kiera and the kids will be better soon.

Joe said...

Mike, there are days/weeks like that. You're doing the right thing...hang in there and keep loving those kids and your lovely wife!!

Johnny Lyons said...

I remember a short time where I worked full-time and Angie was at home with Ash. It was definitely different than staying at home with him full-time. I had loads more energy for him and for me. Since I've been home with him all the time I'm exhausted and often feel depressed becuase of my guilt for having no energy. Good luck Mike!

Scooter said...

I hoping that todays post brings news of recoveries all around. I think it was around this age that Matthew started being sick regularly. Kids that age don't have a lick of sense in terms of hygiene and in a day care environment things pas from kid to kid. I don't recall if Keira works, but if she does, I'm afraid that's something you'll be dealing with. Good Luck!

angie's pink fuzzy said...

yikes! Finn's on the move!

Oh, I totally know what you mean by wanting to get back to work. I spent Ash's first year at home with him, and it's so different going to work - even though it's work, it's still a break...