Saturday, March 25, 2006

The Dirty Double

My "doubles" are probably easier than most, as I usually just run 4 easy miles in the dark, usually after the kids are asleep. Still, after baths/pj's/tooth-brushing/reading stories/tucking in/more stories/dishes/cleaning up toys, it it damn hard to get out the door. It's so nice to sit down, maybe watch The Daily Show or catch up on some blogs, read, or actually talk to your spouse without interruption.

Last night was one of those nights, but after looking at my training log and doing some calculations it became clear that in order to run 110 miles without doubling the day before or the day of my long run, I had to get out there. Is it that important to get to that number? It is to me, at least this week. I remember saying to Kiera as I put down the log, before heading out, "I hate setting goals sometimes, especially right now."

Will those four slow miles in the dark last night make a hill of beans of difference? Will it get me from 2:39 to 2:35? Yes it will. Not the action, but the decision. As melodramatic as it sounds, I think about being a better runner every day, usually several times a day. Not always in concrete terms, like being a sub-2:30 marathoner or a 15-minute 5K runner, but in much the same way I think about being a good dad. It's seizing opportunities and doing what's right, which often isn't what's easy. Read that Calliou book for the 50th time when your daughter holds it up, even if you need to shower and shave before work? Yes, usually, though I don't always get it right. Hell, I get it wrong plenty of times. We get plenty of chances daily, during our normal goings-on and during our runs.

"Right" won out last night though, and I spent the 4 miles breaking in the "fast" Asics DS trainers I'm trying to get the courage to race and eventually train in. Running the 4 last night led to 12 easy miles this morning, which puts me 22 away from 110 for the week. Tomorrow's long run will get me there, and hopefully in style with some time at marathon pace if things go well.

Training: 12 miles, 1:19:44, 7:29 pace
Yesterday pm., 4 miles, 30:48, 7:41 pace

3 comments:

Andrew said...

You did the right thing alright. The right thing - going out and doing the last 4 of the day to continue "voluminous running", or not going out when it will be injurious, or doing singles instead of doubles, or splitting singles into two when life says to do that instead.

Back to getting the 110, I know how you feel. It's more the principle of getting the training in when you can. That way when you can't it is ok.

Also, the Lydiard system is a proponent jogging slowly to clear the legs. It's been doing wonders for me now that I've included it in most of my training days. I've noticed that you are doing this more often than your last training cycle too. Is it helping you too?

angie's pink fuzzy said...

good job!!!

edinburghrunner said...

Certainly can't critcise your attitude!