Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Getting There

The boost of confidence from the half marathon on Sunday is still powering me through this week. I'm two for two so far in the easy-evening-doubles department, and while I've lost my voice from coughing, I did sleep fairly well last night with only one Finn feeding at 3 or so. The body is slowly remembering how to handle threshold running, and hopefully more miles and more marthon pace and faster will continue through the rest of my conditioning phase.

Last evening was 4 easy miles, thankfully before dinner, that were so bland I hesitate to even mention them. This morning was a challenging 16, most of which was run with Lucas. He lives on the opposite side of Sabino Canyon, so we each ran a few miles to meet at the eastern end of the park. We ran up the road to the top, then down a side trail, and I followed him back towards his house at the end to make the run an even 16. This was even hillier than usual, and while the legs felt a little heavy, it felt good to go over some undulating terrain.

My first Lydiard build-up featured fewer hills during conditioning, but usually a 16, and 18, and a 22 miler each weeek. This time around I'm adding more running at faster speeds, and I've pretty much switched my 18 miler for a very hilly 16 miler. I'm doing this because 16 miles still gets me close to 2 hours of running, and with the added toll of running faster and running hills something just had to give. I figure my endurance is much more developed than my first go-around, simply because of the 26 week build I started at the end of last summer to run the marathon in January. If I was starting from scratch I would probably be keeping the 18. As it stands, it's much easier for me to want to run faster the day after 16 miles than it is after 18 miles.

As for the home-life, or "life in the hot zone", Haiden is fine and back to school, Kiera is still in the thick of it, and Finn seems to be turning a corner and is no longer wincing when he coughs. His ears are clear and there's no strep, only a bad cold. As for me, I'm coughing more than ever and losing my voice, but the lungs are clearing and I'm running well so no complaints.

Training: Today, 16 miles, 2:00:18, 7:31 pace, extra hilly in Sabino Canyon with Lucas, felt pretty good by the end
Yesterday p.m., 4 miles, 29:22, 7:22 pace

2 comments:

Sasha Pachev said...

Mike:

What is your speed on shorter distances: 1 mile, 1500, 800, 400, 200, and 100?

Also, what is your leg turnover (steps per minute) at different speeds? And, another test, if you want to do it make sure to do a good warmup first - go to the track, and try to cover 100 meters in the smallest number of steps jumping from one leg to the other. How many steps?

For a comparison, my numbers: 42 steps jumping, 58 running 100 in 15.5 (turnover 225) , 60 running 100 in 17.5 (turnover 206) , turnover 185 at 5:30 pace (64 steps for 100 meters).

A world-class 10,000 runner turns over at 190/minute hitting each lap in 65. So he would cover 100 meters in fewer than 49 steps, and he is not jumping - this is his natural stride.

Mike said...

Good questions all! I haven't run a mile all-out in about three years, when I ran 4:54 in 102 degree weather on a windy day. As for the other distances, I really haven't done any all-out. I have counted strides occasionally, I'm usually around 180 steps per minute at around 7 minute pace. I've "bounded" up hills before using the Lydiard technique, but I've never tried jumping leg to leg for 100 meters. I might do that one on grass first! I have been thinking about stride-rate on my evening easy runs, trying to stay closer to the ground and focusing on solely moving forward (and not up) with each step. this article (an abstract from Beck's "Running Strong" collection is interesting with regard to stride rate. You definitely have a ton of quantitative data on your training Sasha, which is admirable.