Friday, March 03, 2006

If You Like This Blog, You'll LOVE This Blog

Hunter, who lives in Ontario, Canada has started a terrific blog dedicated to his training in the Lydiard mold. You can find it here. Hunter started his blog in Chinese, so for awhile I couldn't read a damn thing, but he's shifted to writing it in english so we're in luck. Hunter is a true student of the sport, wears crazy minimalist shoes, is full of enthusiasm, and is also adept at bugging Nobby Hashizume for the goods on Lydiard training. In today's post he writes about some of the differences between Coe/Martin training and the Lydiard method, and he quotes an interesting email from Nobby, who dispels the notion that you can't run "fast" during Lydiard conditioning. He points out the difference between "fast" and "anaerobic", and how one doesn't necessarily blend into the other.

Hunter sets an ambitious schedule for improving his times across the board, from the 5K all the way through the marathon. I'll be reading about his progress and I hope you will too.

3 comments:

Love2Run said...

Thanks for the link Mike, great blog of a fellow northerner. I also got a nice countdown timer from him so the clock is always ticking!

Anonymous said...

Lydiard always said you should run your best aerobic effort. I believe he meant that consistently trying to improve your steady state times was a strong componant to running faster times in races. When you get to the point where you can run down the road day after day a minute slower than your 10K per mile race time, you will run faster times. I trained at a 6:20-30 pace for years. It took some getting use to but at the beginning I was a 35-36 minute 10K runner and at the end I was running in the 33 and 32's. There was a fine line there and when I crossed it I could get worn down but running just the other (safe) side of that red line was a very effective tool to running faster times.

Adding hills and intervals (after the base was built) was very effective. Then, after that, it was just race, race, race. Then rebuild.

Mike said...

Hey anonymous, thanks for the comment. Being able to run almost daily at a minute slower than 10K pace would definitely qualify as Lydiard's "best aerobic effort" and is worth persuing. You've obviously had great results with it. Unfortunately I'm in the "worn down" camp right now but I'll bounce back.