Saturday, March 18, 2006

Passed!

Well, it finally happened. Since moving up to the Sabino Canyon area last April, I have never been passed by another runner in my "neighborhood" (6 square mile area where I do most of my running, including the Canyon proper). It happened today. He had headphones on, an old race t-shirt, and baggy running shorts. He was of similar height but had at least 20 pounds on me. I first saw him when turning to run home on Sunrise Drive, at which point I had about 1.5 miles to go on my 8 mile route. He approached, then turned around and began running on the opposite side of the street, facing traffic like you're supposed to. I don't do this for half of my out-and-back routes, in order to even out the stresses on the IT band that come from always running on the same side of the road.

Even with three lanes between us I could hear him puffing, and I knew he was making an effort to get by me. When he drew even I gave him a polite wave and continued trudging along at 7:40-something uber-recovery pace. He then shouted across the road a "Howdy, how are you today?" or the like, very pleased with himself for drawing even. I responded in kind, but I never really know what to say (or how much to say) when someone has headphones on. Then he slowly started to pull away, dropping me for the 1/8 of a mile I had left on the road before turning into my neighborhood.

So I was the old guy getting passed, stopping to hack up sick-juice every few miles with hands on knees. It doesn't matter, recovery was the order of the day. When I run slow like this my brain seems to open up and I'm able to better work through things, which I enjoy. Kiera had some scones ready when I returned, and I actually had time for a decent shower and breakfast before heading off to the gallery for my last workday of the week.

Training: 8 miles, 1:01:46, 7:44 pace

4 comments:

edinburghrunner said...

Were you not even tempted just a little to up your pace a little just to see how much he would huff and puff to get past you? But I guess in the grand scheme of things, it would hardly have been worth the effort...

Mike said...

Yes, but since I always end up running recovery days too fast I just figured this was some kind of "test". I doubt I'd let him do the same in a race, when it counts.

Sasha Pachev said...

Mike:

What I usually do in those situations is take advantage of the opportunity to make a friend/find a training partner for easy days.

You may find it an interesting coincidence that I ran your exact same time (1:15:58) in Moab. Details in my blog.

angie's pink fuzzy said...

Mmm..scones...

Good job passing your "test" !