Thursday, March 30, 2006

What Next, Locusts?

I'd like to thank everyone for all the kind comments over the past few days, it's nice to know that so many bloggers out there are concerned about me and my family. Your words are certainly appreciated by myself and Kiera.

Kiera's eardrum ruptured sometime late Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning, so her pain is finally subsiding. She is going in to the doctor today, though I doubt there's anything that can be done. Haiden is in school, and I'm back at work trying to catch up. Hopefully this is the last in my series of "tales of woe from the Salkowski household". I'm worried about Kiera, but she's a trooper and thankfully she only has 9 month old Finn to look after.

As for me, I'm paying the price of schedule-shuffling and caretaking of the household for four days. Last evening found me in the windy Tucson night with my headlamp, heading out for 16 miles at 8pm., after everyone was asleep. I'm used to being asleep by nine, so the thought of having only half of my run done by then was not very appealing. I decided on a few different loops, and the tough part was not just running home at the end of each. "Hmmm, if I head back now I'll have 8 miles, which is respectable given the circumstances." "I can just make a left here and get in 12 miles." Still, I pressed on, though the wind was making things difficult and cars kept trying to kill me, even with the light. I kept speeding up along the way, more to be done than for any hope of gaining fitness by the increased effort. I was rewarded when I looked at the Garmin in the driveway, 7 minute pace for 16.

Trader Joe's calzone was on the menu afterwards, mostly to replenish my stores for the morning run and not out of hunger. Eating at 10:30 at night just doesn't work for me. Off to bed by 11, then rudely awakened by Finn's crying at 5:15. Children have no pity for the weary. Haiden was up two minutes later, and so begins another day. After feeding and bathing the kids, we popped in the "Schoolhouse Rock" DVD for Haiden and Kiera put Finn down for a nap. This gave me just over an hour to do my second hill workout before taking H to school.

After a shorter warm-up I dug into the hill, trying to keep good form and remember what Lydiard wrote about steep-hill running and what Nobby Hashizume has emailed me. Very short steps forward, drive the knees up high, straighten the take-off leg for a good push off the forefoot. It's tough today, and each of the four repetitions proves more difficult than the last, probably due to last night's fresh effort and everything else going on. Still, I got it done and returned home from the 7 miles in just over an hour, in time to take H to preschool.

Last night's effort, coupled with the tough workout this morning is my line in the sand. I will be ready for June 4. During the run last night some thoughts of the marathon in January came back to me. I'm ready to suffer for it, through hills, track workouts, grinding time trials and pace efforts. If I can knock out the last two workouts within 12 hours of one another, after the week I've had, then I am ready to give more.

Training: Today, 7 miles, 4 hill repeats with 3 minute efforts, plus 4 sets of 3x100 windsprints
Last night, 16 miles, 1:52:08, 7:00 pace

5 comments:

Sasha Pachev said...

Mike:

Training has only one purpose as far as increasing fitness is concerned. It is to make you sleep better. You do not get faster when you train, only when you recover, most of which happens when you sleep. Thus, to get the best out of your training, instead of just saying "the plan calls for this, so do it or die", approach it with "I can eat this well, sleep this well, and relax during the day this well, therefore I will run this much and this fast"

Dirt Runner said...

I'm willing to bet a crisp new "C" note that you could throw down an easy sub 24 hour 100 miler. I'm basing this on the amount of other things in your life that you have to deal with along with your mileage you manage to rack up.

Mike said...

Sasha, good points, especially about improving when you rest, and not while you train. I do maintain that the "do it or die" approach" does have value though, especially in the mental aspects of racing hard through periods of difficulty. As my dad would say, "It builds character!" Thanks for the comments.

Dirt Runner, I love the new profile pic. Sometimes I think slogging out the miles the way I do would be condusive to some sort of ultra...someday. Some of my days lately leave me feeling like I've run 100 miles.

angie's pink fuzzy said...

Ohmygod, Kiera's eardrum ruptured? That doesn't sound good! But I'm glad to hear that things are beginning to return to normal. Good job cranking out the miles last night!

D said...

Mike - I hope everything calms down a bit for you....although I don't think anything ever really calms down for parents!