Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Why So Glum?

52 weeks in a year, right? A difficult week where I actually feel slower happening once in awhile is really no reason to be alarmed in the grand scheme of things. Still, today was another fairly tough one, though I guess I set myself up for it with my 28 mile run two days ago. After 8 yesterday morning and a skipped second run, where I played with Haiden in the yard and mowed the lawn instead, I was left with my hilly 16 miler today. I couldn't put it off, since doing so would push my second medium-long run to Friday, which would in turn probably make the half-marathon on Sunday even more difficult. Races really have a way of screwing up a schedule.

I did a fairly similar run last week that thoroughly did me in, but for some reason I left the house undeterred. I reversed the course of the run, which meant I saved going up the big hills to the top of the road in Sabino Canyon until the end. This seemed like a good idea at 6:30am for some reason. When I hit the top of the road and started heading back down I was pretty spent, even though I had a good 5 miles left. Eventually the run ended, but I can definitely feel some residual fatigue from Sunday's run, which is now buried beneath today's fatigue.

Yes, it hasn't started out as such a great week...again, but I'm committed to working hard through tomorrow's double and Thursday's 16 miler. After that Friday and Saturday will be very easy in anticipation of Sunday's race. Nobby kindly emailed me and reminded me that training is supposed to be hard. It's funny how hearing something so damn simple from someone else can bring things into perspective. It's not when you run that you improve, it's when you rest and your body buffers itself and gets more resistant to the running stresses you apply to it. Hopefully doubles, eating well and sleeping well will help to that end, and perhaps some strides (Nobby's suggestion) might get some snap back in my legs for Sunday.

Training: 16 miles (Garmin went dead at 7:16 pace after 11 miles).

4 comments:

Duncan Larkin said...

Mike, you are running some Herculean workouts --both pace and distance. It should come as no surprise that you are running on fumes. You know what's best for you, and I won't offer a cliche', but I do feel obligated to write not to get down on occasionally skipping a double or the fact that you are dragging big time. Your snap will return, it comes with the territory...you know the deal.

angie's pink fuzzy said...

"training is supposed to be hard"

simple, yet so profound!

Thomas Sørensen said...

I agree with Angie. I might adopt the phrase "Training is supposed to be hard"

And maybe you need the new Garmin 305 :-) Gadget runners unite :-)

Scooter said...

I wanted to say something profound, but between Nobby and Duncan, there's nothing more to be said, except...

SMILE! :-)