Sunday, April 09, 2006

Beautiful


Haiden and Finn in the backyard

I'm all smiles today after finishing my long run and starting my weekend. Haiden is feeling better, Finn is getting a few new teeth but isn't too testy about it, and Kiera actually has a few minutes each day where her recovering eardrum doesn't ring. Even though I'm now battling what is either an infected area around a wisdom tooth or a sinus infection around my jawline, I'm handling it with some ibuprofin so it's not so bad. It's a good thing we have good health insurance.

After a solid week of training where I actually fit in all my workouts I was a little worried about the long run today. Lucas needed 1 hour and 45 minutes, so I decided to head out at 5am in the dark to get in 8 miles by myself before he showed up to run another 14 or so. While I started slow, I soon felt pretty good and got my average pace down to 7 minutes flat by the time I finished my first 8. Lucas and I then headed out on some different loops with lots of ups and downs, some trails, and some streets I'd never been down. I wanted to avoid my usual route (since I'd already covered it earlier), so while we ran into some unexpected uphills, we enjoyed the run nonetheless.

We were both feeling quite fresh, and I found the pace continuously dropping from mile to mile for the whole run. One problem with running by time, as Lucas does, is that when you do decide to crank down the pace and run fast you are rewarded by having to go farther than you planned! What was expected to be somewhere between 14 and 15 miles together turned into 16, and we finished the run averaging 6:37 pace. This, when coupled with my even 7 minute pace gave me an average of 6:46 pace for 24 miles, and I felt I definitely had a few more in me.

There was only one thing that could make the run even better than it was...Kiera's scones. As soon as I opened the door I could smell them, and I enjoyed two of them before the sweat was even dry. Even skinny Lucas had one and spent some time talking with Haiden as we ate.

So 95 miles down and I'll probably not go out to make it an even 100 for the week. I did get in all three hill workouts, plus a 16 miler and a 14 mile run that included the difficult Phoneline trail this week. Most importantly, I feel good. No, I feel great. With the opening of my lungs and the buzzing in my legs comes the opening of my mind. Things are happening. I am getting stronger and fitter, and that will make getting faster easier when the time is right. I'm going to run faster.

But right now, I'm getting off the damn computer to enjoy the weekend with my family.

Training: 24 miles, 2:43:20, 6:46 pace. I have the love for the run.
Total miles: 95 in 9 sessions

9 comments:

Duncan Larkin said...

Excellent time on an incredibly long run. Well done Mike. Scones...with a name like Salkowski, I just can't see you sitting at a table cross-legged drinking tea and eating scones. (I'm joking). Have a great Sunday.

Dawn - Pink Chick said...

Great job on all that running and a great pic of the kids. Hope you're enjoying Sunday with the family and away from the computer. I'm enjoying a quiet one, no one here but me and 2 sleeping dogs. Amazing I've finally almost made it through my list of bloggers.

angie's pink fuzzy said...

sweet!

(and what a gorgeous picture!)

Marc said...

Great run, great time, and a great week - and scones to top it off! Not to mention a couple of great kids.

tb1 said...

I am glad that your training is going well. We all know what that feeling is like. Carpe Diem.

Eric said...

Cool. Things are coming along great! I bet that 6:46 pace is worth at least 6:36 pace on a slightly shorter run in rainy conditions.

Keep it rolling!

Scooter said...

It's great to hear that life is returning gradually to normal. Keep moving forward!

Anonymous said...

Mike,

Glad to see things are easing up on the family front and everyone is feeling better. The training is going well. June is going to be a good race for you.

All the best,

junkmiles

p.s. cute kids! You're a lucky man.

Mike said...

Thanks everyone, and good to hear from you junkmiles. Eric, make that a 6:25 in Moab :)