Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Nothing Flashy

After a few scheduling setbacks last week I'm trying to get back to a set routine. So far things are going well this week, including a nice 16 miles this morning. I met Lucas in Sabino Canyon and we did a few loops around some neighborhoods, and we gradually worked the pace from 7:40-land down to 7:10 cumulative at the end. While the legs are feeling a bit "thick" from the Lydiard hill exercises, and there was quite a bit of wind and hills in sections, I never noticed the pace dropping as we continued, which is a good thing. For these runs I use a Garmin, but I set it to show just the average pace for the run. This way when I see I'm running 7:40's to start and I work it down to 7:10 or so, my mind usually reads it as me running whatever the pace says, even though I'm usually running quite a bit faster than the "average" towards the end (with 6:40's counterbalancing the earlier 7:40's). Confusing? It works for me.

I didn't run last evening, but I'm hoping to get out for a bit tonight. I'm finding that I actually feel a little better doing an easy evening run after a longer morning run and leaving the hill repeat days as singles. I'm not sure why this is, but since my evening runs are usually very slow and easy (and possibly useless at 4 miles or so) I'm just going with it.

Lucas won a 10K a week ago Sunday, and his victory, coupled with a discussion from a recent post-victory interview in the paper with another runner brought up the question of what to say when you win. Lucas chooses his words carefully and is very modest, so when a photographer was snapping shots of him after his victory he was imagining what he would say if asked about the race. It was easier for us to come up with what NOT to say-

"I wonder what would happen if I actually trained for this"
"I guess no one fast showed up"
"I was just training through this race" (this one shouldn't be used for winning or not winning, just like the next one)
"I just ran a (insert marathon/half-marathon/ultra here) last (insert week/month here) so I had no expectations"

I don't know, maybe it's just jealousy, or knowing that I'll probably never be in a position to get asked about something as elusive as a victory. Still, it's always fun to make a list. Give your competition its due.

Training: 16 miles, 1:54:37, 7:10 pace

4 comments:

Duncan Larkin said...

Mike, I'm not sure about the Tucson racing scene--with Eddie and his Kenyans and all--but a guy that can pop a 2:39 marathon and a 1:12 half around where I live can score first place gimcrack like it's going out of style. You're time's coming....get your talking points ready.

Scooter said...

Mike,
Thanks for the nice comments on my blog. I regard myself to have a debt to Arthur, and hope to be able to pay off a portion of it by helping to make a champion (since at my advanced age, and wired the way I am, I won't be one).

Thomas said...

Looks like you managed to stabilise your running life again. That's good, because I was starting to get worried about you. You could not have kept going training as much, if last week's troubles had been repeated a few more times.

Sasha Pachev said...

Mike:
Winning a smaller race can be a good experience even if the competition is not as strong as in the high-profile races. It is kind of like running downhill - gives you a feel for where you ought to be before you are fit enough to get there. It helps you learn to think of yourself as fast. If you think of yourself as fast, you will eventually be faster.
You are defenitely capable of winning a lot of races around the country. To get an idea, check the winning times on marathonguide.com.