Saturday, April 15, 2006

Working for the Weekend

Working on Saturdays stinks. It seems like everyone else is out enjoying themselves, meanwhile I have going to work in the back of my mind from the time I get up. Holiday weekends are especially tough. I should have gotten up earlier to get in my third and final hill workout for the week, but with Kiera out fairly late I opted to watch TV and wait for her to get home instead. This meant leaving the rest of the happy and awake family for an hour and 16 minutes of hill running and bounding, when I honestly would have rather stuck around and goofed off with them. That's right, even running felt like work today, though I'm certain it would have been different if I'd gotten out the door before everyone got up.

This morning's 9 miles was pretty much a carbon copy of Thursday's run, which was identical to Tuesday's run. It's a comfortable rut though, and with the addition of running Phoneline trail two times in the last two weeks I'm starting to feel good about my strength again. When I finally start running fast at the end of next week I should be doing it on top of a good endurance base and a fair amount of strength.

Tomorrow is Easter of course, and my folks will be coming down from Phoenix to enjoy the day with ours and my brother's family. We have a morning egg hunt planned for Haiden (and Finn, who doesn't stand a chance against a 3 year old) in the backyard, so I'll need to get my butt out the door wicked early to get the long run in and get back in time.

If things go well I'll end up somewhere between 95 and 100 for the week (depending on when I get up tomorrow), and next week will see a mileage dip as I rest up for a 5K cross-country race. Have a good weekend.

Training: 9 miles, 1:16:00, 4 hill circuits with 4 sets of windsprints (slower windsprints with a sore right adductor)

6 comments:

Dawn - Pink Chick said...

We did our Easter egg hunt on Friday as the little one is off to her Dad's for a week. It was a lot of fun.

Happy Easter

Duncan Larkin said...

"...as I rest up for a 5K cross-country race." Wise choice. If you don't, I can give you some upsetting action verbs and jaded adjectives to use when your time stinks.

angie's pink fuzzy said...

Sounds like a fun family weekend! Sucks about working on the weekends, though.

D said...

Your post on Friday made me think of the many times people ask me how I manage to get my runs in every day and my answer is always, if it's on the schedule, then I need to run. If it isn't an option, then there shouldn't be a problem. Happy Easter - have fun w/the Easter egg hunt - I miss that...I can't get away w/doing Easter egg hunts for my now 18 year old daughter...

abodybuilder said...

dude try running in canada in the middle of winter, and worst yet getting up at 5 am to go do it. I know my girlfriend thinks im brain dead hell i think im brain dead too
body building
muscle building

Marc said...

*wicked* early? Are you sure you are not from Maine?

Hope you had a wonderful Easter.