Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Everything Old is New Again

Suffered through a tough 5:30pm run with the kids yesterday. It was still hot and very windy, and I would have certainly called it at 4 miles if not for promising Haiden a treat at the grocery store (which requires an addditional 2 miles). My sugar-fiend daughter/coach egged me on, "NO! We CAN'T turn around!!" Sweet chocolate dedication, thanks coach.

This morning was much better, with a victory lap of sorts as we did our last of 4 daily runs as a threesome (me pushing both kids as Kiera is still out of town). I worked on some strides on the downhills, where I could let the stroller loose and run fast behind it. These shenanigans led to a 7:20 cumulative pace for the six miles, which is the fastest I've managed to push both of them. Sasha can manage 5:45 pace for a 10K pushing the stroller, but from what I've seen of his blog most of his races drop at least 1000 feet for a 10 mile (and up to 2500 feet for the marathon) so I'll have to do some converting to see how fast he really goes.

In the past I've usually just pushed our 3-year-old daughter Haiden, but having 10-month-old Finn along has been really fun. Even at 3, Haiden is already "too cool" for most of my juvenile running antics, like wheelies and running alongside the stroller to "race", speeding ahead then falling behind. Finn finds these things hysterical. It's nice having a second chance, and I'm really glad we decided to have two kids. That being said, it will REALLY be nice to have Kiera home late tonight.

Training: Today, 6 miles, 44 minutes, 7:20 pace
Yesterday, 6 miles, 45ish minutes, hot and difficult

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apparently running with a stroller is a bigger hindrance that ankle weights as the latter allows for 5:30 pace as converted from a wicked 200 meter split.

~Mike

Duncan Larkin said...

Instead of reading in open-mouthed wonder at Dr. Pachev's ability to kick some major stroller racing ass, I was reading in open-mouthed wonder contemplating the consequences of dumping a kid while moving at or around 10.5 mph. Good thing he can steer the ship as well as he can kick stroller racing ass.

Eric said...

Salient point, Duncan. When we first got our running stroller, I tried it out around six minute pace. It was a short test. Very unstable. Even minor movements of the front wheel at that pace skew the stroller all over the place. I'd hate to be the kid, especially if I didn't have a three point harness and a helmet.

Sasha Pachev said...

Mike - that 10 K was a loop course, and it was a single stroller with Benjamin at 7 months. That is almost like running normal on a flat (lose maybe 5 seconds a mile), possibly even a bit aided on the downhill once you get used to it, and probably 20-30 seconds per mile loss on a 2% grade going up.

A double with a couple of older kids makes a HUGE difference. So does the terrain. And if your tires are underinflated, it slows you down a lot.

Regarding safety - in 7 years of running with the stroller at various speeds on paved roads I've never had an accident, and never felt I was out of control even at top speeds. Never ran with a stroller on a dirt road, that might be different.

It is not easy to dump a kid out of the stroller, even if he is not buckled and you are trying to do it on purpose - it would take a lot of upper body strength. You'd have to break really, really hard and for long enough. Safety wise, it is signficantly less dangerous than letting a 7 year old ride a bike without training wheels, as well as doing a number of things you often do with a kid.

Scooter said...

Ain't children wonderful? Especially that big one racing the stroller down the hill! My son used to get mad when I'd start to pass him in the stroller.

Mike said...

I never knew how much stroller-running meant to people. The fact that you're getting advice to pump up your tires to go faster is really something!!

Keep up the stroller-running comments people, I'm learning a lot :-)

Anonymous said...

I've never run pushing my own kid (that I know of!) but i did run 6:30 pace pushing Briana's kid...and what thanks do I get? She makes out with my girlfriend.

dan

Marc said...

Had to laugh at the antics - I used to do the same thing with the boys. The wheelies were most popular. We had the original "Baby Jogger" strollers (single and double)which were smooth and fast and very stable.

Many times I would have the stroller and the dog. Needless to say I wasn't doing much speed work, but those were the days that if I wanted to get a run in, this was the price I had to pay.

Thomas said...

Uh, you actually let go of the stroller and let it run downhill on its own? And you confess that on your blog? Which your wife reads?

I wouldn't do that, especially the confession thingy. Niamh would probably kill me.

jkrunning--Just Keep Running said...

I'm going to assume, for Thomas' sake that you were holding onto the leash when you let go of the stroller. Come on people!!
Stroller running is quite the adventure. I tortured my 2 kids with it, and they survived. Just think of it as a right of passage. Next step, bicycles.

Mike said...

So THAT's what that long piece of fabric is for! I thought it was there to tie around the bike rack so the stroller wouldn't wander off while me and the kids are inside at the bar ordering a pint.

Don't call CPS, I'm kidding folks.

robtherunner said...

You have a good sense of humor Mike. It actually took me a few times of using the stroller to figure out what that long piece of fabric was for. And yes my wife had to show me.

angie's pink fuzzy said...

hahahahaha! i loved the post and comments. Johnny does pretty good with just Ash - and they have fun up and down Sabino. I couldn't image a double-stroller, I can't even do Ash alone!

Dallen said...

Sasha's 5:45 stroller race was one of only 2 times that I beat Sasha. And I didn't pass him until an overpass at mile 5 or so.