Saturday, May 06, 2006

A Test

I'm training for the San Diego Marathon on June 4, which I also ran last year in a disappointing 2:50, 3 minutes slower than my PR at the time. My training had been a little more spotty than usual, as we moved into a different house last April, and we were busy preparing for the birth of our second child, who arrived a few weeks after the race. My last "predictor" race before the marathon was the Cinco de Mayo 10K, which is coming around again tomorrow. I ran that race in 36:09, almost 20 seconds slower than the year before. I brushed it off at the time, thinking maybe it was just an off day, when in fact it was a harbinger of things to come one month later. When I finished the San Diego marathon at a crawl, utterly spent, I vowed to find a better way to train. A month later is when I started following Arthur Lydiard's training methods.

So what will happen tomorrow? My plan is simple, run gutsy and run faster than last year. I've been laying the bricks for 13 weeks now, and this race will leave me one month out from the marathon. It's a chance for me to pull my eyes up from the map and see just where the hell I am. I want to drive home tomorrow feeling I honestly gave it all I had.

I should be relatively fresh with only 59 miles in my legs so far this week, though the legs were a little heavy after yesterday's 14 miles. We'll see how it goes.

Training: 6 miles with Scott, 7:27 pace

6 comments:

Love2Run said...

I think you are more than ready for the 'test' and the little mileage dip will have done wonders. Enjoyed catching up on your posts, esp all the stroller comments ;-) Now how did you do that photo zoom effect 2 posts ago? Great shot!

Duncan Larkin said...

I'm running the Vegas odds here...and the odds are that you will run sub 34. 33:30-33:5X. Maybe faster too. Your last 1k repeat session combined with the low mileage tells all.

Mike said...

Thanks Duncan, I hope you're right. The house usually wins. Mike, I emailed you, but for others interested it's from software built in to the newer intel macs (Sorry Eric). It's called "photo booth", and the kids love it.

Paul - a UK Running Dad said...

You go well today Mike.

As a UK runner of truly mediocre calibre and as a Dad to 2 boys ( under 6 years) I have been dipping into your Blog with great interest since coming it across it a few weeks ago.

Having unfinished business with the Snowdon Marathon (I was poleaxed completely with severe cramp in both legs at 23.5 miles and unable to complete) your resolve to overcome is one that I can fully identify with and learn from.

Given the brick work you've been doing, your drive home will be memorable!!

edinburghrunner said...

Hope it goes well Mike.

Eric said...

Are you done running yet? Have you driven home yet? Post a race report already! Come on! Oh that's right...you have a Mac. I'll give you some time...

I'm sure it went well. Can't wait to find out how well!