Thursday, July 13, 2006

Coming Around

A balmy 87 degrees at 4:45am in Tucson, hot and humid enough for me to scare my foothills neighborhood. Yes, I ran shirtless. The combination of my pale, mealy skin, coupled with an overabundance of hair in all the wrong places caused many dog-walkers to recoil in fear upon my approach. I like my neighbors, and I hate to do this to them, but in this weather a shirt soon becomes little more than a clinging, chafing, sopping-wet mess.

After putting in six miles last evening with the Running Shop gang, which quickly deteriorated into just myself and Jason, I was ready for a nice, slow recovery run. Last evening's effort was probably around 6:50 pace in 100+ degree temperatures, so I was worried that the 20 mile total for the day would come back to bite me.

This never happened. I actually felt really good for the whole run this morning, despite the heat, and finished the 11 miles at an average 6:59 pace after running the first mile at an intentionally slow 7:50. The legs are feeling better than they have since the marathon in June, and hopefully things will continue to get better as time goes on.

I'm still in the planning stages for my next build, but hopefully some details will emerge soon.

Training: 11 miles, 1:16:53, 6:59 pace
Yesterday pm., 6 miles, 41:20, around 6:50 pace

5 comments:

Greg said...

"The combination of my pale, mealy skin, coupled with an overabundance of hair in all the wrong places caused many dog-walkers to recoil in fear upon my approach."

Very Nice. Glad to hear things are coming around for you.

D said...

Just think: you could be a female and be forced to wear a sports bra!

Eric said...

A detailed description of an episode of diarrhea has nothing on that quote. That is disgusting.

Mark said...

my issue is after finishing one of those runs, you really don't feel like stretching in the sopping wet hi-tec materail and just want to take a swim or shower first.

Trouble is after that you don't feel like stretching.

Way to keep the pace, I must be measureing my courses short cause my pace seems awfully slow....

robtherunner said...

You mean all this isn't part of your buildup Mike? Maybe a pre-buildup then. Glad to hear you're feeling better with your running.