Thursday, August 03, 2006

Touring the Wreckage


I stole this photo from Angie, who has some great photos and descriptions of the flooding here in Tucson.

Lucas and I were both a little beat from the workout yesterday, so we spent much of our run visiting the flooded out portions of Sabino Canyon, where this photo was taken. There is now just a gaping hole, probably 20 feet across and 8 feet deep where one of these bridges used to be. We turned around when we reached the washed out bridge instead of descending into the muddy waters below, our lesson learned from the past weekend. We cut across the canyon on the Bluff trail, then ran along the flooded Sabino creek and stared at the overflowing water from Sabino Dam. It's a mess around here.

The uneven terrain of the trail, plus a slow first mile put me over the 7 minutes flat goal pace I've been at for a few weeks, but after yesterday I really didn't mind. We ended up with 10 miles at 7:15 pace.

While I'm looking forward to the half marathon, there has been a distinct lack of any travel information for the race. John Bingham Racing keeps telling our liason here that the trip is on, but will not give any more information beyond that. Things are smelling fishy at this point, and there's a chance this taper will end up just being a transition to my next build. Honestly, missing the race wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, especially after my last travel debacle getting home from Reno.

I am feeling energized again, and if I don't hear anything more about the race by this weekend I may start building up again next week. Frankly, I'm looking forward to getting the miles back up, just so I won't feel like a slacker.

Training: 10 miles, 1:12:33, 7:15 pace

6 comments:

Laurie said...

You are hardly a slacker! You make the rest of us feel like slackers however.

Duncan Larkin said...

John Bingham Racing: the mother of all oxymorons.

edinburghrunner said...

Nice picture - helps me put your recent travails in context!

angie's pink fuzzy said...

nice picture :)

Good to know the Bluff trail didn't wash away - that's where I was thinking of heading with Kiera on Saturday.

And the Rattlesnake bridge destruction left a 20-foot wide gash in the road?! Wow!

So if you don't get to do the HM next weekend, does that mean you'll be coming over for the "hello" party?

robtherunner said...

Yeah, if you're a slacker what does that make the rest of us?

Thomas said...

Some slacker you are.

What does that make out of the rest of us?