Saturday, September 30, 2006

Dig

I run through parts of Sabino Canyon at least four days a week, and I've seen some of the devastating damage the summer flooding has caused. Here's a story on the latest public forum regarding the canyon's future as a recreation site. Until recently there was a 3.7 mile paved road that climbed through the canyon, and visitors could either walk or take a tram along this arterial to enjoy the area. Now that much of the road has been severely damaged, the big question seems to be whether or not to rebuild the road. Most of the trails in the area have been reopened, with the exception of Phoneline, which is my favorite. Personally I could take or leave the road, but since I see so many older folks walking on it I wonder whether they would take to the trails if the road ceased to exist or if they would just stay home.

This morning the forest service asked for volunteers to bring their own shovels and spend the morning removing invading non-native plants and dig out picnic benches, restrooms and such. I had forgotten about this until I ran past the parking lot and saw every space taken. While on the open portions of road in the canyon I saw more than 100 people gathered around rangers at various locations, workgloves on and shovels in hand. I felt a little guilty running by them, since here I was enjoying the facility without contributing to its well-being. Still, there were miles to run and a day at work ahead of me so on I ran. I was happy to see such a good turnout though, and if they decide to do this again on a Sunday I'll make a point of joining them, as some of those restrooms have saved my life.

The run today was an easy six, and the legs felt even better than yesterday. Hopefully I'll be fresh for the race, I'll let you know how it went on Monday. I'm glad to hear that both Angie and Phil will be toeing the line along with me.

Training: 6 miles, 43:16, 7:13 pace

3 comments:

angie's pink fuzzy said...

Toeing the line...and then you'll take off and I'll be eating your dust as you finish it twice as fast as I will!

See you tonight :)

Dusty said...

Good luck on the race.

So great to hear of the turn-out for repairing the area. Seems that these days people don't stop to take the time to volunteer - so that was great to hear! I hope they build the road for the older folks too.

Have a great weekend!

Evan said...

I know the feeling of being out for a run and feeling guilty seeing others doing trail work. But it is also a good feeling to go and help keep trails clear or clean, or whatever. Many hands make light work, so no-one should have to do it too often!