Monday, September 25, 2006

Speaking in Code


I'm getting tired of writing about it, but since it keeps happening I figure this new system will work. From now on it goes like this-
Finn A= Happy-go-lucky 15-month-old boy. Joy to be around, good sleeper and a ray of sunshine
Finn B=Sick Finn, with lots of vomit, 100+ degree fever, cruel waking cycle at night, sad boy

It's Finn B again, starting around midnight last night. He was great all through sister Haiden's 4th birthday double-party, though perhaps an overzealous father holding the boy while bouncing off the walls in an inflatable jumping castle didn't help with the vomit later on.

After an uneventful and slow run on Sunday to end the week, we spent half of the day at a park with 20 or so of Haiden's closest friends, then the other half of the day at our house where we celebrated Haiden's, my dad's, and Kiera's stepdad's birthdays with a second celebration. It was a great day, but the whole family was thouroughly exhausted by the end of it.

When Finn started getting sick a long day turned into a longer night, and after finally getting through it and drinking a cup of coffee at 6 I could hear that Finn had finally fallen asleep again. I took this opportunity to crash on the couch for another hour and didn't get out for a run until after 7.

When I did finally get out, I still had a headache from the long night and sporadic sleep, and I didn't expect much from the run. In a perfect world, I'd planned on 10 miles with 8 at 6:30 pace, but as I headed out I was prepared to just run easy if I had any trouble. Strangely enough, the legs ended up feeling much better than the rest of me, and I was running under 6:30 pace on what was supposed to be a slow, uphill warm up mile. I took the body's hint and just continued along, eventually getting to the 8 mile mark at 6:21 pace, which shocked me. Two slow miles home and back into the hot zone for the second day of my weekend. I still don't know how I pulled the run off given the circumstances, but I'll certainly take it.

Here's how last week went down:
9/24, 12.5 miles, 1:30:50, 7:14 pace, easy with Lucas
9/23, 17 miles, 1:51:51, 6:34 pace, w/10 at 6:44 pace, 5 at 6:03 pace. Hard work
9/22, 10 miles, 1:03:35, 6:21 pace, with 7 miles at 6:04. Felt good
9/21, 10 miles, 1:08:29, 6:51 pace
9/20, 16.30 miles, 1:55:01, 7:06 pace. Slow trails for the last part
9/19, 10 miles, 1:05:13, 6:31 pace, w/2.66 mile time trial at 5:29 pace. Bailed workout
9/18, 11.65 miles, 1:18:29, 6:44 pace, 6 miles at 6:24 pace. Felt very good
Total miles: 90.5 in 7 sessions

I'm into the last of 8 weeks of conditioning, and the end of the week features a tough 8K race. Next comes a three week hill phase. Things should start getting interesting soon.

Training: Today, 10 miles, 1:04:22, 6:26 pace, with 8 miles at 6:21 pace
Yesterday, 12.5 miles, 1:30:50, 7:15 pace

6 comments:

angie's pink fuzzy said...

Poor Finn! Poor Family!

The party was fun, though :)

You doing the Run'n'Roll?

Thomas said...

One bad night doesn't have much of an effect on ones running performance. remember, nobody sleeps well the night before a marathon, and yet they are all able to perform.

All the best to poor Finn. I hope the wee man will recover properly this time.

Mike said...

Thanks Angie, it was nice to see you you. I'll be at the Run and Roll, we'll see how it goes. Hope you get to race it too.

Thomas, you know all about the sick kid thing. Hopefully this will mean he's a tough guy later on, since he's catching every conceivable bug early.

Phil said...

Great picture of Haiden. She looks like she was having a great time. So sorry to hear about Finn though. I remember when my kids were really young and got sick over and over. You feel so hopeless at times.

In spite of everything, you still got in a good run. Very good.

Hope Finn is feeling better very soon.

Dusty said...

Nice run! Sorry to hear about Finn B. Happy birthday to Haiden!

Marc said...

Wishing a speedy recovery to Finn.

I have also found that birthday parties, overzealous fathers, and merry-go-rounds are not a good mix (unless you are going for the Jackson Pollock-esque 'art work' it produces from a palette of the day's food)

What is your plan/methodolgy for this conditioning phase? Just wondering how you determine the mileage for the faster paces embedded in the daily runs.