Sunday, October 22, 2006

#14 is 14th

I like to make it easy for the people who tally the race results, so I made sure to slide into the chute in 14th, which coincidentally matched my bib number. Actually, I had no idea where I was placed at the time, as the race stretched out fairly quickly with the gazelle-like Kenyans and and a few current and post-collegiates sprinting away from us in short order seconds after the gun sounded. Any hope of Lucas and I having any pacing help evaporated as we found ourselves alone, save for one foot-slapping-heavy-breather who we knew wouldn't last. We were right.

I'm too tired for a report now, save for the important stuff.
Get Moving Tucson 10 Miler
54:52, 5:29 pace
14th place, PR by 1:17
Results are up here (Thanks Deb!)

One thought during the race that stands out-
Finishing mile 5 and seeing 27:32 on the watch, I said to myself that I would run the second half faster. This is where I've usually just tried to hold on for dear life in the past. I'm a happy camper at the moment.

Kiera and the kids surprised me by coming to the race, and we had a great time afterwards with Haiden attacking the jumping castle and Finn emptying the post-race buffet. More to come.

14 comments:

Duncan Larkin said...

Holy cow! Fantastic Mike! Let me be the first to congratulate you on the fantastic race. Isn't it sweet to see a 5:2X in the average pace?

Love2Run said...

and a PR is a PR! Congrats on a great run. Even pacing, eh?

Mark said...

ya kicked my PR of 56:05! Good Job and awesome running, must've felt good.

Anonymous said...

Well done, Mike, sorry that I didn't see you at the race. The results are posted on the website now so everyone can marvel at the speed of the front runners.

-Debrah (nowhere near 14th. More like 200-somethingth)

Anonymous said...

Wow! 54:52 during marathon training means you are very fit.

oldLobo said...

Hellebuyck was a high school coach out here. What kind of guys would want to be seen training under him?

I wonder what your place was in the non-chemically enhanced division.

robtherunner said...

Nice job Mike! Glad to see another one of your PR's go down. I suspect it won't be the last.

Eric said...

Geez. That is awesome. Just pure fitness! That marathon is going to be spectacular. Great run, Mike.

Andrew said...

I guess you're one of the "fast guys" yes? Great job!

Wayne said...

awesome job mike. looks like you're on track for a good marathon.

Lawrence said...

Great job! You are in fantastic shape! It's a pleasure to read and follow your running pursuits.

Bart said...

Congratulations, Mike! I've enjoyed following your training. It's good to see your hard work and dedication paying off.

Bart

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. Looks like the fast-guys-bib was totally justified.
Yet another PR. They just keep on falling.

Homeslice said...

Awesome job! Congrats on the PR and keep up all the hard work.