Saturday, October 21, 2006

"Are You One of the Fast Guys?"

How does one answer this? I was at the registration table picking up a bib for the 10 mile race yesterday and was asked this question after the volunteer spied the "grand prix winner, comp entry" I had written in over the "entry fee" box on the race form. I mumbled something along the lines of "Maybe top 20?", and she tore off the cellophane around bibs #1-20, which were kept separate from the other numbers. Eddy has a handful of Kenyans training under his tutelage who will most likely take all the prize money as well as many of these low bib numbers, but since I registered first so I got my choice. It's always been "14" for me, ever since I first saw my dad wearing it on his back when I would watch him play softball as a kid. Hopefully it will bring me good luck tomorrow.

I ran an easy 6 miles this morning, and while the top of my foot is still a bit sore, the rest of the cylinders seem to be firing. I arrived home afterwards to the smell of fresh muffins coming out of the oven, which made watching the kids while Kiera and her friends Lisa and Angie ran in Sabino Canyon a bit easier. I'm a lucky guy.

I'm still going over the race plan for tomorrow, but I know it's going to involve trying to find what I believe is my threshold during the first half, then slowly pushing into the red for the second half. Of all the distances, 15K to half marathon races seem to be the most enjoyable for me, and my race times for said events seem to reflect that relative to longer and shorter distances. There's not much I can do at this point except eat and sleep well. Hopefully I'll be able to report back with good news.

Training: 6 miles, 42:53, 7:09 pace

1 comment:

Lawrence said...

Eddy Hellebuyck --there's a name I haven't heard since he was suspended. He's coaching now? I guess he still maintains his (and most others)mantra "I'm innocent"?

btw --good luck!