Friday, October 06, 2006

A Blast

Ten miles were on the schedule this morning, with 7 around marathon pace at 6:05 or so. Dark storm clouds loomed, with their edges reflecting a red glow from the sunrise around 6 am. Rain was possibly brewing, and while I had second thoughts about the shoe choice I laced up a new pair of blizzard white Brooks Adrenalines. Nothing browns up a pair of trainers like an hour spent running through storm drainage.

It's been a slow, somewhat sore week for me, which I'm blaming on the race this past weekend and the new stimulus of clawing up Sabino Mountain road at a snail's pace. Aside from some pick-ups, I haven't been even close to marathon pace all week so I figured this workout would be a shock to the system.

Two miles of warm up at 7:40 pace was anything but encouraging, but soon enough I was starting the watch and picking up the pace, running the first mile along Sunrise Drive with the wind at my back towards my usual time trial loop. The pace jumped down quickly to 6 minutes per mile, and aside from the legs feeling stiff and my abdominal muscles feeling sore things started to click. One mile in I was actually trying to slow a little, as I knew that if I got too far ahead of pace it would surely come back to bite me tomorrow. As I was trying to ease off during mile two the rain started. It began with gentle taps on the shoulder, but within a few minutes it was coming down in sheets, which actually felt great since it brought the temperature down. The course I run for these efforts is within an old subdivision, carved from the desert south of Sabino Canyon maybe 20 years ago. There is no drainage to speak of, and within a few minutes of the rain falling in buckets water was streaming across most of the roads at depths ranging from 1-3 inches or so. The spenco insoles I use act like a sponge in these conditions, and soon they were audibly squeaking as my heel to toe transition squeezed out some of the accumulated water with each step.

Instead of slowing me down, the energy of the storm was a great motivator. Getting out of the lightning and drying off was another motivator. The end result was a very smooth marathon pace run with an average pace of 6:01 for the 7 miles. I splashed through the biggest puddles I could find on the one mile cool down with a smile on my face. It was a great day.

Training: 10 miles, 1:04:42, 6:28 pace, with 7 miles at 6:01 pace

3 comments:

Blaxabbath said...

Heartwarming.

This is what running should be all about.

...also fast marathons.

Andrew said...

Excellent!

Love2Run said...

Nice run, braving the elements is what it's often about. The glorious clear calm days are nice too but the 1st snow, 1st frosty morning, warm summer rains are runs to remember.