Wednesday, October 25, 2006

On the Track

Good ol' fashioned intervals today on the Catalina Foothills High School track. While nowhere near as nice as the Olympic quality Sabino High, it's a fair amount closer to the house. After about 2.5 miles of warm up I got right to the 8x600 I had planned. 1:55, 1:52, 1:53, 1:52, 1:52, 1:52, 1:52, 1:52 followed, each with about a two minute rest interval. After four repeats I started to walk the first 30 seconds of recovery, which seemed to help me bounce back quicker than running slowly the whole time. I tried to concentrate on when the lactate seemed to hit the legs during the efforts. By the fourth repeat I could feel it creeping in at about 400, and by the sixth effort it was there at 300. The seventh and eighth were a bit rubbery after 200, but since I kept hitting the times I kept at it.

All in all I'm happy with the workout, though when it came time for the cool down with Lucas the legs felt quite dead. Running downhill for a mile and a quarter afterwards then having to work back uphill sealed the deal, and I was happy to sit down in the car afterwards.

Lucas followed me back to the house, where Kiera had just pulled a sheet of scones out of the oven. Yes, I lead a charmed life, and yes, I realize it. The bike ride to take Haiden to school had the legs complaining a bit on the way back, but I'm feeling pretty energized at the moment. Hopefully I'll get in another six miles with Lucas and the gang from the shop after work. Have a good day.

Training: 10 miles w/8x600, 2 minute recovery. Feeling good

3 comments:

Andrew said...

Again, you're training seems to speed by week after week. Base, hills, speed - zoom! My training however, slogs on and on and on and on and...

Duncan Larkin said...

Fantastic. I love this stage and like to read about these type of workouts. I personally struggle with how to approach my recovery periods. I usually end up walking them and can relate to you walking part of the recovery period as you got into the 'work.' What's the right answer? Probably jogging, but that's darn near impossible some times.

Anonymous said...

Wow, those are extremely consistent splits. Very impressive.