Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Question:

"You haven't been doing squat lately at paces relative to your 8k PR so how the heck can you expect to PR this distance? Hmm?" -The question portion of Duncan's constructive critisism the other day.

My answer: Volume. Steady and consistent miles over many weeks at progressively faster paces, which lead to increased economy and stamina, that's how. I knew this before the race but waited to answer until afterwards, as I had a feeling the words would have a little more weight then. I guess I should thank Duncan for firing me up after ticking me off with this and the rest of his comment.

8K Run and Roll Results:
26:53
7th place
17 second PR, 30 second improvement over last year
Free shoes for me, since I'm a grand old 35 years of age now

Quick synopsis to follow tomorrow, but I wanted to mention how much fun I had meeting fellow Arizona-blogger Phil at the race. Our whole family was also able to get lunch after the race with buddies Lucas and Angie.

13 comments:

Mark said...

Huge PR! Congrats! Love to read this kind of stuff, very inspiring. Keep up the good work.

Duncan Larkin said...

Congrats, Mike. The best part about fostering online running friendships is pissing your 'pals' off to the point that they run a major PR and then blog about the whole experience. I can eat crow as well as the rest and will gladly do so as long as I see a good man run a damn fine race. This happened today. Well done, amigo.

Eric said...

Nice race, Mike. There should be no reason for you to question your fitness going forward from here. Good stuff.

Phil said...

Great race Mike and congratulations on your new PR. Thanks for suggesting that I run it. I had a great time meeting you and your family.

Lawrence said...

A new PR! Congratulations. 17sec. is nothing to sneeze at either, especially at the speeds your moving.

Thomas said...

Congratulations on the PR. That's the last pre-Lydiard PR to fall isn't it? See, I was right to call you a whiner!

Anonymous said...

Nice time, Mike. This puts a big Lego block in your training foundation.

Paul said...

Mike, that last one was me. Stupid Blackberry!
Paul

Dusty said...

AWESOME job - Great PR!! 17 seconds is huge!

Great to win new shoes too!

fartleker said...

Awesome job Mike. There is nothing as satisfying as hitting a new PR in training. Now, good luck actually getting the shoes you want! Oh, and tell Kiera thanks for me for bringing by the cookies on Satuday. Those things were great!

D said...

Congratulations Mike!

Thomas said...

Mike, don't forget to update the page behind your "PR's & Marathon history" link.

Love2Run said...

PR's are falling from the sky! Great job for a race you seemed to be dreading. Your base is like a huge mountain now!