Monday, October 30, 2006

Round and Round


The weeks keep flying by at a speed I'm not completely comfortable with. Twelve weeks of training are now in the bag, and I'm left with a scant five weeks to get ready for the marathon. Time in general is speeding along, and it seems that every day the kids get a little taller. Thankfully Haiden has told me that she doesn't want to get big; that in fact she wants to stay a little girl so she can play. Parenting breaks your heart this way, as deep down I agree with her but I know it's going to happen anyway. This pic is from last evening, where the whole family went to Trail Dust Town for some pre-Halloween fun. Both Haiden and Finn loved the carousel, though Finn was less pleased with his lamb costume.

Here's how last week went down:
Monday: 8 easy, feeling a little broken down from the 10 mile race the day before
Tuesday: 14 moderate
Wednesday: 10 miles in the morning, with 8x600 (first time on the track since May), did most at 1:52-1:53, then 6 miles easy in the evening
Thursday: 8 miles moderate in the morning, 4 easy in the evening
Friday: 12 miles pretty easy
Saturday: 10 miles with 7 at 6:08 pace
Sunday: 21 miles with 10 at 6:43 pace and 8 at 6:00 pace. Tough run.
Total: 83 in 9 sessions (EDIT: 93 miles, special thanks to my math coach)

While the mileage was nothing special, I did manage to spend a fair amount of time close to marathon pace. Sunday was probably my best long run to date, and the first track workout went pretty well all thing's considered.

My second of three week's worth of anaerobic training started today with 10 easy miles. My nutritious dinner from Costco's gourmet food stand included a slice of pizza, a polish sausage and a Mr. Pibb last evening, and again the caffeine and nitrates coursing through my veins kept me from a reasonable amount of sleep. The kids were both up before I left, so it took awhile to make it out the door. Still, the run went well and hopefully I'll feel recovered enough for some more work on the track tomorrow.

Do take a second and pay a visit to Thomas, who cracked 3:30 with an amazing performance at the Dublin Marathon. This guy was happy to break 4 hours not that long ago, and I suspect 3 hours will fall by the end of 2007 with his consistend training. Well done Thomas.

Training: 10 miles, 1:09:50, 6:59 pace

3 comments:

Phil said...

Another great picture Mike, although Finn may be using the picture of him in lamb costume against you when he is in therepy later in life.

Fabulous week and great 21 miler yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much Mike, I am truly flattered. But it did take me 1 year to go from 4:00 to 3:30, and I don't think I can keep that rate of improvement going.

However, I'll keep trying, and with your constant encouragement I might get there one day.

Nice 21 miler, btw.

Mark said...

Keep hammerin away you are doing great!