Thursday, October 05, 2006

Tireless?

Arthur Lydiard's first phase of training is in part geared towards getting a runner in what he calls "a nearly tireless state". Sometimes I think I'm closing in on this, but the phrase that often goes along with it is his insistence on finishing the runs at a pace that leaves you "pleasantly tired". This week I'm tired, but there's nothing particularly "pleasant" about it. If it sounds like I'm complaining I don't mean to be, as having some residual fatigue from day to day means I'm working and thus improving, at least somewhat.

Today I repeated my run from Tuesday, which meant a steady pace with a few pick-ups thrown in every 15 minutes or so. Again I tried to determine the overall length of the run based on how tired I felt. Here's where it gets difficult. What seems to be happening is that after an hour or so I feel a general leg fatigue (probably due to the hills the day before), but the lungs feel pretty much fine. I figured I would decide to end the run when my pace either flattened out or slowed, but this doesn't seem to be happening. Instead, I find myself thinking about breakfast, taking Haiden to school, and recovering for the next run, and all the while the pace keeps getting a little quicker with every mile. I finally call it quits on an even number and get on with my day.

I guess the feeback my body is giving me is indicating that my low-end endurance is pretty much there, which means I can probably run 7 minute miles for a damn long time. However, at the same time my legs are tired enough that I can't really crank the pace down much more and still feel recovered. Here's where a phrase from the coach who is helping me starts ringing in my ears. "Think optimum training, not maximum training." As I shut off the engines at 10 miles instead of beating the dead horse for another 15 minutes I'm hearing these words, and hoping I'll be ready for the weekly double header that starts tomorrow.

Training: 10 miles, 1:09:30, 6:57 pace, with 4 sets of pick-ups including 2x200, 1x400, 6x100 strides, 2x200. Dead legs good lungs
Yesterday pm., 6.2 miles in 44 minutes with the Running Shop gang

3 comments:

Andrew said...

Why do the pick ups on a recovery day? Is not the striding on the hard days sufficient?

Mike said...

I'm using some of Lydiard's older schedules for the hill or transition phase this time around, which has this sort of thing six days a week. I'm trying not to force the hill days too much with the intention of keeping most days at a moderate effort. If I'm doing it right I shouldn't really need a "recovery" day, with the exception of maybe Sunday after the hard Friday-Saturday block. Easy to say, right?

These aren't difficult by any means, they're just meant to get the legs ready for the anaerobic stuff coming in a little over two weeks.

Blaxabbath said...

I spoke to J today. we're in agreement that Drqgons would love to have you for the Trot.

Consider yourself 'taken.'