Saturday, November 25, 2006

Chasing the Fine Line

I did my last true pace workout this morning with Lucas over my familiar time trial course. The plan was to work down from 7:30 to 6:30 pace over a two mile warm up, then run two sets of three miles with paces of 5:55, 5:45 and 5:55 with two miles of "recovery" in-between at 6:30-7 minute pace. Two miles of cool down at the end would make it 12 miles.

The calves were a bit sore from the race on Thursday, which I blame on sprinting up some of the short, steep hills on the course. The quadriceps also had a touch of soreness, but I knew that would go away as soon as we started running. The first set passed in 5:52, 5:43 and 5:54, and I spent the middle part of the interval trying to get a handle on how my body responded when dropping the pace to a bit faster than predicted marathon pace. While it did take more work and concentration, the 9 second pace difference didn't seem to overwhelm me too much. Strangely enough, the second interval felt a bit better than the first, with miles passing in 5:53, 5:44 and 5:51. After the second mile at 5:44 I really didn't feel like easing up to much for the last mile, but when I did I could really feel the burden lessen when I got back to 5:54 pace (we sped up a little over the last 400, which brought the pace back down).

Probably the best part of the workout was the cool down, as I honestly felt quite ready for another 3 mile session. With eight days to go until the race and only two days after a tough 5K this is a good feeling to have. Have a nice weekend.

Training: 12 miles, 1:16:39, 6:23 pace, w/2 intervals of three miles, two mile recovery. 5:52, 5:43, 5:54 and 5:53, 5:44, 5:51

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job. Just don't get too ambitious. Nothing you can do now to improve on your potential in the marathon. Trust what you have done and let your body prime itself for the big effort.

Eric said...

Nice little workout, Mike. Everything is setting up nicely.

Start lookng for a good sandwich shop.

Andrew said...

Good work Mike. You're where you need to be. Pretty good you have someone to go with you on those time trials.

Lawrence said...

It's been a treat following your workouts....enjoy the week ahead....

Mark said...

good run on the w\o; now it's time to stay within yourself. . . can you do it?

Yvonne said...

nice work. and congrats on the 'swag' the other day!

Phil said...

Great work out Mike. Extremely impressive so soon after your Turkey Trot. Thanks for posting the great pics.