Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Delayed Departure

Our 17-month-old boy split his lip falling off a tricycle on my watch last evening, and he's been a bit sour since. I was sweeping outside while the kids were playing and I should have been more watchful. Finn's goals in life are to climb higher than he should, get into things he shouldn't, and make as much a mess as possible en route. He's the kind of guy who will most likely have trouble staying put during a marathon taper or similar.

I tried to put the boy back down when he woke at 5:30, but by 6 he was awake for good so we hung out for awhile in his room to give he rest of the family a bit more time to sleep. All these shenanigans meant I wouldn't have time to drive to one of the decent tracks in town for my workout, so instead I did a long warm up, changed shoes and ran the half mile to the junior high track near our home. The surface is terrible on this track, and I take every opportunity to avoid running on it. Since the workout was a short 4x1000 I figured my back and quads could take the strain, and while the potholes with concrete showing through are plentiful in lane one and two it didn't prove too much of a problem. Goal time was 3:15, and I hit 3:14, 3:14, 3:16 and 3:14, with about three minute recoveries. Guess I spaced out a bit on number 3, but overall I was pretty happy with the workout. I didn't have too much spring in my step, but I can probably blame that on the dead track.

Work is a bit nuts this week so most of the posts will be a bit short until next week. Good running to you all in the meantime.

Training: 10 miles, 1:09:40, 6:58 pace, w/4x1000 in 3:14, 3:14, 3:16, 3:14

4 comments:

Eric said...

woowoo! space cadet! Hopefully that two second lapse in judgement doesn't come back to bite you.

Hope the boy is feeling better. I have one of those too. Currently spending some time devising a containment device to keep him off of anything more than six inches higher than the immediate surrounding area. He has a climbing addiction and a falling problem...

Blaxabbath said...

You gotta run on Tucson High's track. It's the money shot.

Anonymous said...

Will pass along your message to Nobby. He seems to think that Reiko is in good condition, but is worried about Takahashi's finishing spurt over the last 5 K. We'll see what happens...

Mark said...

My thoughts were of you when I had our 19 month on a two mile hike yesterday.

A loop trail including a hill, mud puddles, bridges and plenty of rock hazards along the way. Boy, did he get upset whenever I picked him up to carry him across these areas