Sunday, November 12, 2006

Marathon Time Trial, Run as Advertised

The wife is back after being gone for 9 days. The shoes are off but the soles are still smoldering. 15 miles run in 1:28:42, or 5:54 pace with splits of-
5:59, 5:56, 5:55, 5:54, 5:53, 5:54, 5:52, 5:52, 5:54, 5:48, 5:54, 5:52, 5:55, 5:51, 5:50
I tried to ease into the effort, but as usual I didn't start relaxing until about the 4th mile or so. I was feeling a bit thirsty at 9 miles so I ran off the 1 mile course a few blocks to retrieve a gatorade bottle from my driveway without stopping, which proved comical and not unlike the Chasing Kimbia guys at Chicago (just a minute per mile slower) when they were missing and dropping bottles. The mile in 5:48 actually put me in the red a little as I was chasing back to pace, so I made a conscious decision to back off a little at mile 11 to get back into the groove. By the time I finished mile 12 I knew I would be able to finish without too much trouble, and for the last two miles I pushed the gas a little bit.

Throughout the run I was constantly checking my breath and evaluating the legs, and both for the most part were in pretty good shape. Don't get me wrong, this was a damn hard workout, but it was nice to gain confidence in my ability to hold the pace as the miles went by. I did just about all of this run over a one mile loop which is pretty much half uphill and half downhill, though it's fairly subtle. I found that when I didn't concentrate I didn't increase the pace enough on the downhill portions, which in turn made the uphill portions more difficult. For a true even effort around 5:54 pace it takes running 5:50 pace for half of the loop and 5:58 for the other half. Since the California International Marathon has a lot of rolling terrain I'm paying special attention to this kind of running. While I originally planned on a three mile cool down plus a two mile warm up, I cut the cool down to just one mile since it took me a good 9 minutes or so to run it.

Between having Kiera back and getting this run finished I feel a huge amount of weight has been lifted off my shoulders. While I only get one day off before working straight through until Thanksgiving, I'm going to do my best to enjoy it. Bye for now.

Quick note: For those interested in Arthur Lydiard's training, check back to the post from Mystery Coach on Thursday, which is now followed up with some informative comments.

Training: 18 miles, 1:51:56, 6:13 pace, with 15 miles at 5:54 pace.
83 miles for the week in 8 sessions, guess I'm already tapering

8 comments:

Mark said...

Nice run Mike. That's another conficence builder to recall during the late miles of your marathon.

I see CIM has a course profile very similar to Andrew's Wineglass Marathon course. Andrew PR'd with a sub 3 and I am thinking this may also hold true for you.

Anonymous said...

Very nice workout.I guess this is supposed to push you into peak condition?

Anonymous said...

Mike - you are ready! Stay injury-free.

Eric said...

NIIIIICE. Man, I love the long MP runs! You're in a whole new world, Mike. Great run.

Lawrence said...

That's a helluva effort. Great work.

Anonymous said...

Wow! As impressed as I am with the raw speed (trust me, I won't ever run that fast) I'm even more impressed with just how consistant the splits were. That shows just how much control you have over that speed. It looks like you are locked in for the marathon. The rest is just staying healthy and getting rested. Great job!

Phil said...

Great run Mike. Amazing consistency mile after mile. It must be great to have your wife home.

Marc said...

Looks like you nailed the dress rehearsal. Well done.

To quote from Once a Runner: "How nice for you to have arrived right on time."