Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Stars Aligned

Happiness is 8.5 hours of uninterrupted sleep after a fun day off spent in the backyard and at the park with the kids. Both kids are feeling much better. Kiera's mom came over extra early this morning so Lucas and I could fight through an interval workout on the roads around my house, so we headed out to my time trial course and marked out quarter miles. I say "fight" because I often find myself at odds with parts of his workouts; specifically the short recoveries. When I read his schedule I had thought it said 3x1 mile with 4 minutes rest, then 4x800 with a 400 recovery. Apparently I read what I wanted to read instead of what was there, namely 2 minutes recovery after each mile.

Still, since he'd come all the way across town I decided to at least start the workout with him and just run by feel as far as recoveries were concerned. Simply put, I'd run the next rep when I was ready. He wanted to run 5:15 and I was thinking 5:18, but what's a few seconds between friends?

I'll keep it short as work is busy. Miles of 5:16, 5:15 and 5:11 followed, with a recovery of 2 minutes after the first one and 2:30 after the second. I simply could not believe how good and fresh I felt, even with the shorter recoveries. I even joined Lucas for two 800's in 2:30 and 2:27, and both felt worlds better than any of the 800's I ran on Sunday though the last one filled up the legs enough to call it a day. This was the first time I put the Asics DS trainers to the road for a workout (I'd only raced them and used them on the track), and no doubt their go-fast feel helped a bit.

The mind and body are simply feeling good right now, and sitting here now the legs again feel great. It's coming together.

Training: 10 miles, with 3x1 mile in 5:16, 5:15, 5:11 (2 and 2:30 recovery), then 2x800 in 2:30, 2:27 (400 recovery)

9 comments:

Eric said...

Nice. That's really all I have to say about that.

Marc said...

Sounds great. Hapiness indeed!

Duncan Larkin said...

Those are some lovely times with bare-bones recovery. Note again that you allocated your ergs of energy correctly, doling them out in a progressive manner at increasing speeds from rep-to-rep where you were on sub 5-minute pace on your last 800 repeat--fantastic. You mentioned that the mind and body are 'simply feeling good right now.' I'd offer instead that you are starting to make hay after years of tenacity and patience. Keep going: we are all enjoying this.

tb1 said...

It's great to hear you comment positively about the results of your training. Not that you haven't in the past. It's just that you have such high standards set for yourself it sounds good to here you tell everyone that the training is starting to pay dividends. You must be chomping at the bit for DEC 3.

Lawrence said...

very nice, I concur with Duncan, you were wise with the pacing and rest....

Mike said...

Thanks guys. Tony, I am indeed excited. Duncan, I hope you're right. I'm certainly enjoying this too. Today it wasn't the speeds so much that I felt good about, but rather how easily the pace came to me. As I've mentioned a time or two in the past, I was right in the middle of a gear with plenty of torque in reserve.

Wayne said...

Man, you're fit!

Phil said...

Great workout with very short recoveries. Happy to hear that the kids are feeling better

Running Rabbit said...

Mike, between you Eric, and Bob...I appreciate all the kind comments that you left in my defense. Why can't nice, good wholesome boys live near me?!?!