Sunday, November 05, 2006

What Weekend?

Arthur Lydiard seems to take a fairly loose approach to intervals. Lots of quotes can be found where runners have quizzed him on how many repetitions are optimal, and what paces will give them the biggest gains. The answers often seemed like part of a comedy routine. How far? "To the next tree". How many? "Run them until you finish one and say 'Gee, now that one really got to me'." How fast? "Enough to get the blood moving and to tire you out but not enough to overwhelm you."

These aren't direct quotes, mind you, but I've read quotes from Lydiard that were very similar to these in articles and in his book "Running the Lydiard Way". When I read an email from Mystery Coach about the intervals I was set to do today it had the same advice about quitting when the time was right and not over-doing things. I think we were both a bit concerned about the toll the last two long runs had taken on my body, and there are still plenty of fast workouts to run in the near future.

With this in mind I headed to the track for 6x800, and I planned to run each repetition at 2:34 or 2:35. Kiera's mom came over to watch the kids at 8, and by the time I got to the track it was already 9. While I skipped breakfast, it probably wasn't wise to since I was running so much later than usual. The warm up took forever, and by the time I finished a few strides I wasn't too optimistic. 5 x 800 in 2:32, 2:34, 2:31, 2:32, 2:33 followed, each with about equal recovery. While I would have liked to have done all six, the legs really seemed to fill up on number five so I called it quits and ran a slow cool down. Perhaps I could have run all six if I'd gone a bit slower, but the pace I was running felt natural enough so I just kept at it.

On the homefront Haiden is feeling a bit better, though her appetite still isn't what it should be. Finn caught whatever cough/sore throat/fever thing she had though, which meant he woke 4 times during the course of the night. Kiera got out of town just in time.

Training: 10 miles w/5x800
Miles for the week: 93

3 comments:

Phil said...

Nice interval workout today. I think you were wise to knock off when you legs had eneough.

Sorry the kids are sick again. All I can tell you is that they do grow out of this. I know it seems like they're always sick, but one day, you'll wake up and realize they haven't been sick for months. It will happen.

Good luck as Mr. Mom. Margie is coming home on Tuesday, so I'm on the final leg. I'm such a a wimp.

Mark said...

way to crank those 800s!

Marc said...

What a great mother-in-law!

Glad to hear that Haiden is on the mend.

So you had six planned but got in five? You ran as many as Lydiard would have you run. Well done.

Enjoy the solo time with the kids.