Friday, December 01, 2006

Away I Go

While I'll bring along a laptop on my trip to the California International Marathon this weekend, this is my last pre-race post. Instead of taking a day off I ran a very easy four miles after taking our daughter out for a muffin this morning. The abundance of shorter runs during the taper has given me more family time during the mornings over the last week, and I've enjoyed it. My wife laughs when I tell her I'll miss the family during the trip (which will take less than 48 hours), but I have grown accustomed to the mayhem around the house and a quiet hotel room will be a shock to the system.

This race is the reward for the training and I plan to treat it as such. I'm going to enjoy the feeling of marathon pace, run during the marathon for a change. While I'm sure some are hoping for me to blurt out a concrete goal time, I'll only say that I hope to run the best race I'm capable of. There's no laundry list of miles and efforts run during training this time, if you've been reading you know the score.

I'd like to thank my wife Kiera for being more supportive than I deserve. I'd also like to thank Mystery Coach for all the work and trouble he's put himself through selflessly helping me in my efforts to follow Arthur Lydiard's training. He is the architect of the training I have followed this time around and he deserves much credit regardless of my result. Oh, and Phil certainly deserves a mention for his generous help getting me to the race when the unexpected occurred. Finally, thank you for reading about my exploits, and I hope to have something good to report come Sunday night.

Training: 4 miles, 29 minutes, 7:15 pace

22 comments:

Greg said...

"While I'm sure some are hoping for me to blurt out a concrete goal time, I'll only say that I hope to run the best race I'm capable of."

That is a very Lydiard-esque statement.

Best of luck to you Mike. I hope this weekend provides you with a true picture of your fitness.

Mark said...

Run your Race with Heart and Soul for this will be fruits of all your labors.

It's good to see you recognize your support system; they sacrifice and pull for you every day.

Good luck on your marathon!

j-rev said...

... and don't forget kudos to Nobby and his Lydiard Foundation for his guidance early on in your quest...

Mike said...

Good point j-rev. I have a much longer "awards speech" chock-full of other thank-you's, but I was hoping to save it until after I got the Oscar. Nobby really got me started down the road and has given me lots of good advice over the past year.

Yvonne said...

best of luck mike. it's great to read about your training, and it will be even better to read a marathon race report from you. enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Good luck this weekend. Enjoy the moment...that's what you have really worked for. And remember, we all expect a very detailed report of your experience. Such is the price of being a blogger.

Andrew said...

Go get 'em Mike. No surprises out there. You know what your capable of.

Anonymous said...

Best of luck Sunday, Mike!

Laurie said...

Your dedication never ceases to captivate me. Good luck on Sunday. I have faith that you will put in a performance you will be proud of.

Lawrence said...

Good luck on race day!

Mark said...

Surfed into your blog while researching Lydiard. Enjoy the race.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck, Mike. Go and nail that course.

(and then thank us for our whining about your lack of tapering for previous races)

Duncan Larkin said...

Mike, no luck is needed. You are ready. Run your race. Go make it happen.

Phil said...

Have a great race Mike. You are certainly read to bust out a great time.

Bart said...

Add me to the list of well wishers for CIM. Run smart, and I'm confident you'll exceed your highest expectations.

Bart

Anonymous said...

Mike - get it done. Your race will provide me with more eagerness to run well next week.

Anonymous said...

Good luck & have a great race! You have earned it! You will know if you met your goals even if you don't have a concrete definition of what they are.. Just one of those things that you know inside.

Go get 'em!!!

Anonymous said...

Best of luck. Can't wait to read the report.

Runneroftrails said...

You'll have a great run Mike... you are ready! Just don't get too caught up in the moment... at least for the first 5km or so. Save it for the home stretch.
Blair

tb1 said...

I hope you've enjoyed the journey to 12/3, I know I have by reading your blog. You inspire many. Have fun tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

This is gonna be good!

Anonymous said...

Run well. I am looking forward to the post-race report.