Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Core Issues

I ambled back to my old standby, Dog Poop Trail for eight miles of fun this morning. The calf muscles are absolutely 100% again, as the only way I can bring out any soreness is to attempt the one-legged piriformis stretch that Evan mentioned in his comment yesterday. These stretches seemed to aggravate what seems like an intermittent nerve issue, so while I appreciate the gesture I actually feel better when I don't stretch. The same thing held true for the calf muscles; as soon as I stopped stretching things got better in a hurry. You stretcher-types please continue to enjoy your contortions and the flexibility and good-vibrations they provide, but for now I'm back to good old rigidity. It suits me.

One thing I am still seriously considering is a core-strengthening routine. During the run today I had the old familiar sensations of fatigue in the hip flexors and lower abdominals, which leads to less knee drive and results in a shuffle instead of a powerful stride that eats up the road. I think my years as a cyclist are partially to blame for this, as sitting down and pedaling does almost nothing for your core muscles. That being said, it did improve my cardiovascular system while saving my knees. While I hate to say it, I'm going to look into the cost of a pilates class to help me with my core. Yes, dear readers, the green flag has been waved. Let the ridicule commence.

I'm looking forward to four more days of easy running, and with some luck the rest of the post-marathon kinks will be worked out by the beginning of next week. I'll let you know how things go with finding a pilates class once I buy the requisite track pants.

Training: 8 miles, 56:25, 7:03 pace. Felt great at first, shuffled a bit with sore core muscles the last two miles

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe Daisy Fuentes will be in your Pilates class. Then who will be laughing?

Not much chance of that, so if you actually start the class, I will taunt you a second time.

Marc said...

Rigidity is good. My wife is constantly amused by my lack of flexibility - she actually laughs out loud. I remind her that experts say that runners tend to be less flexible than other athletes.

That being said, I do stretch the calf/achilles post run, but that's about it.

I am sure you can find a nice pair of track pants and a Pilates video on Ebay. Only problem will be the track pants only come in XXXL.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha!

Andrew said...

I'm sure being a Pilate helps. Just ask Mark Newman. He flies for Fedex and he ran in the '04 Olympic Trials. So go ahead and take those classes!

Phil said...

Good luck with the core development. Perhaps you'll inspire others to do likewise (other than eric, marc and brian)

Anonymous said...

So no yoga, eh? :) I tell you, I did boot camp workouts and was surprised what a difference it made. I tried upper body & ab work in college, but the weights were too heavy for me and I never did well with it. Can't get over how different it feels to have abs when I run.

angie's pink fuzzy said...

pilates?

you?

really?

Anonymous said...

Fasil Bizuneh -- who recently won some important half in 62 minutes -- used to comment that he never stretched because he likes to be tight like a rubber-band...ready to snap with explosive power at any moment.

He was serious. Then he named Lost Boy Lost Boy.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike Good luck with that working on ur core...

I am being Coached my Lisa S B and have spoke with a few of her clients... she is ALL about cross training and building up the CORE...

I am new to training for runs/races yet not new to athletics so it does make sense to BUILD and strengthen the whole body as I increase my endurance...

Dean KARNO... said once he gets back to San Fran. after his run across the country... he is going into a major cross training campaign... so he can keep pushing his long distance crazy runs :-) he's a huge fan of cross training!

About moving ur blogger over to beta I have help a few move so far.

Try not to move during PEAK hours like dinner time... try either early am of late night will be better...since U been blogging for a while U have a lot to MOVE over to beta and it will take a bit of time...

Take Care Mike and STRETCHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!

Bob