Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Damage Report

I had no desire to run yesterday, which is such a rare occurrence that I actually listened to my body and bagged any attempt at a recovery run. Today, however, I pulled myself together and headed out for the slowest 5K of my life. The calf muscles seem to have taken the biggest hit from the race. Both are quite sore, and on the right leg the soleus is also smarting, which made a normal gait almost impossible. I shuffled through one mile at ten minute pace before the legs would relax enough to allow a somewhat normal stride. The quads are also feeling the hurt, though they also tend to come back from this type of abuse fairly quickly. For some reason the hip flexors are actually not so bad, which is a nice surprise.

Thirty minutes of running felt more like an hour, and I added a quarter mile walk at the end for a cool down. Yes, I couldn't run any slower than 9:30 pace without tripping over myself so walking it was.

I'm really hoping the calves will start cooperating soon, as trips up and down the stairs at the gallery are comical at this point, at least to my boss and co-worker.

Recovery: 3.2 miles at 9:30 pace. Tight, sore, but ready for more.

9 comments:

Blaxabbath said...

Just stay upright. It's in Dragons' best interest that you get across that finish line on Saturday.

Laurie said...

Apparently, you ARE human ;)

Anonymous said...

What have you done for your recovery? I have found that for me, a 15 minute icebath after any long run or race is the best thing for my legs coming back with little soreness. I also take one E-Cap for every hour's worth of running I did.

Mike said...

I'll have to wait until Friday to decide Blax, the calf muscles are barkin' right now. Chad, while I'm definitely going to add some stretching to the period after my runs, I'll probably just stick to breakfast, a Trader Joe's vitamin and some wrestling with the children for a post run ritual. Someday maybe I'll do the icebaths, but I seem to have a knack for recovering quickly without going through the trouble of icebaths. That being said, a marathon definitely tests my limits in that arena.

Phil said...

A 9:30/mi pace? Heck, I'm impressed that your out running at all less than 48 hours after a PR performance. I've never been an ice bath fan either, of course I've never run a marathon.

Anonymous said...

A 9:30 pace recovery run? Hey, welcome to my world!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh... you could have done a group run with a bunch of us in blogland at that pace! :)

Glad you listened to your body... it knows when you need a break and I think a marathon warrants that.

I agree on the stretching... doesn't have to be immediately after the run. I'm bad about doing it, but when I'm sore, I stretch before I go to bed.

D said...

I know icebaths are good for recovery - I just can't bring myself to engage in that torture! Great race report Mike.

Anonymous said...

Hey MIKE, I found you via's d blog... AWESOME Blog and Posts!

Congrats on your Cali PR time...WTG!

I am training for my FIRST Marathon and just love all the Running BLOGS out here, very inspirational...

I been an athlete my whole life and as far as running goes I feel I am more of the middle of the pack kinda of runner...

and depending on how my first marathon goes probably will lean more towards the ULTRA's ... Very Intrigued by the whole long distances and mental aspect to get U through it...

anyways, Great BLOG and I will stop back from time to time.

Bob