Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Wheels Fall Off

I had a very rare running meltdown today. I think things started last evening when I went out in cold weather gear for what was supposed to be four easy miles before dinner. The legs were a bit sore and I never really settled into things, so when the four miles finally passed I was grateful to open the garage door and take off the shoes. This was a run that did absolutely no good, save for showing me I was a bit tired from running generally faster paces.

I awoke to clear skies and 29 degree temperatures this morning, which is about as cold as it gets around here (I should shut my mouth because it will probably 25 tomorrow). I bundled up with two shirts, a hat and gloves, though I couldn't bring myself to wear the tights. I headed out to Sabino Canyon for a hilly run up to the end of the road, which pretty much echoed a run I did last week. I ignored the sore legs and the memories from last evening and started the climb upwards, even running over a bit of ice on the two bridges that straddle the second mile marker in the canyon. By about halfway up my breathing was getting a bit heavy and the legs were getting grouchy at the effort. When I finally reached the top I stopped for a minute to catch my breath, and the air was still cold enough to pierce the lungs. Normally I just head straight back down, but today I appreciated the minute spent with my hands on my knees. I ditched the hat and gloves and headed back down.

By about seven miles I was really wishing I was back home again. I started thinking about the four pieces of bread I'd eaten yesterday, which was the sum total of my carbohydrate intake (plus some wheaties). Between the sore legs and the bonking feeling I was experiencing, this just wasn't my day. I was able to run it in, but this goes down in the books as a bad one.

Perhaps I just overdid things for a few days, or maybe it was just not eating enough. Regardless, once I was back in the house and eating some toast with peanut butter and honey I started feeling better. I guess if you're thrown an unexpected good day or two, an unexpected bad day can also be in the cards. With the closest race being more than a month off it's as good a time as any to drag a bit.

Training: Today, 9.25 miles, 7:19 pace
Yesterday pm., 4 miles at 7:42 pace

8 comments:

tb1 said...

I think it was Angie that quipped recently: "I guess you are human." And then to log this in your blog, that takes guts. I have a lot of respect for you. Take a break and use Christmas for your excuse. You earned it. Merry Christmas.

Eric said...

It happens. Days like these are why some of us don't have plans. =)

It's a rollercoaster, baby. Cheers to a better tomorrow.

Michael said...

Take it as they come, one day at a time. I know you’re looking at peaking again earlier then I am, but I’ve only “just” rediscovered my legs. I can also speak to feeling less then stellar, as last night my 51’ run felt closer to 1h21 (at least the last 10’ did).

Enjoying the blog, good luck with the Sun Run.

Marc said...

'Tis merely a flesh wound.

You'll be back nibbling the knees off of your PR's in no time I am sure.

Marc said...

My apologies to Monty Python.

Wayne said...

It's good to see that you experience bad days too.

Abadabajev said...

I went back and tallied your days off since your formidable marathon. Congratulation by the way. You are coming along. 3 days off so far. And how do you suppose your recovery schedule is forthcoming? When you truly believe in yourself, and in the philosophy of 'Running with Lydiard', you will not require to run for weeks after a major cycle. However, I am pleased the mystery coach is holding you back.

I concur with tb1. It takes guts to blog your good and not so wonderful moments. You’re an open book and that’s why I navigate to your URL daily.

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Don't forget you are only a couple of weeks past a monumental marathon PR effort. The general concensis is that one easy/off day for each mile raced. I'm pretty sure that doesn't include "hilly runs." Even the elite marathoners only run about two such races per year and you are not that far off the paces they run. Not trying to preach, just remember recovery is as important as training for performance, both short-term and long-term.