Monday, January 08, 2007

22 x 3

Easy run this morning following yesterday's fairly strong effort over 13 miles. The only thing to really pay attention to was the set of 6 x 20 second accelerations up to full speed. These would end up being around 150 meters apiece, so I used my usual formula of counting every third stride to run the distance. For some reason I like counting every third footstrike for strides, and counting to 15 this way gets me my 100's. I test this on the track now and again and it's always accurate to within a meter or three. For 150 meters I just added seven counts, which ends up being 66 steps when multiplied by three. Timing it out this ends up being just over 20 seconds, which is the length of time I was after. OK, enough math. I don't know how I got started with this, but it works.

The accelerations found me trying hard to concentrate on a near straight-leg takeoff, which helps in keeping my pelvis forward, which helps me "run tall". Or at least I think it does. The run went fairly well, though I was hoping to get back to the house feeling a little more energized than I did. With some luck I'll get out for another easy four this evening. Overall I do feel good, and I didn't feel the same raggedness during the accelerations that I felt last week during the 200's. Finding dirt for three of the efforts today, coupled with ridiculously long recoveries (1/2-1 mile) could certainly explain this though.

Training: 8 miles, 54:24, 6:52 pace, w/6x150 accelerations to full speed (such that it is)

4 comments:

D said...

I was slouching in my chair until I read your post. . .

tb1 said...

Mike,
Do you find that when you "run tall" while accelerating that your stride narurally lengthens and you begin to heel strike? Is this natural? Or do you focus on keeping your stride length short?

Mike said...

Tony, there's a nice article by Bill Bowerman in an ancient Sports Illustrated that the coach emailed me. The article talks about form at length and it really helps me visualize what I'm trying to do with my stride. I think running tall and moving your pelvis more forward and underneath you does lead to a light heel strike, and I don't think it's a bad thing. A "long" stride has many connotations; I try to focus on turnover instead of stride length, but I notice that the faster I go, the more ground I cover with each stride (even while taking the same number of steps per minute). By focusing on a straight-leg toe-off and then bringing my knee forward through the stride quickly I feel I can maintain a good turnover with more ease.

The Track & Field Superfan said...

I've been reading through various posts over the last few days, and found it to be tremendously illuminating. I'd like to take your Mystery Coach and Nobby Hasuzime and sit them down for a loooooong talk...

When I first ran in HS, I had terrible form that I thought was good. Our new coach (now in the state Hall of Fame) basically retaught me how to run from the ground up, as he did with a lot of other guys. He didn't know squat about distance training, but his ability to see and understand movement sounds much like Bowerman's (if not quite as good).

Anyway, a year or two ago he saw me run for the first time in about 15 years, and told me I looked like crap. I had gotten tremendously sloppy and didn't even know it. The advice of running tall, hips forward, straight-leg pushoff, etc., is all the same as what he taught me way back when, just using different words and imagery. So I'm going back to what he taught me and using the same drills we did in HS.

I can't wait for the next post by Mystery Coach. Some of these new ideas have got me wondering, and I'd really like to ask a few questions.