Monday, January 22, 2007

Indulge Me Here


We haven't had snow here in Tucson, Arizona since 2001. The flakes began to fall late last evening, and while it was nice I was sure there would be nothing left of it come morning. Much to my surprise I was obviously wrong about this, which gave me the opportunity to enjoy a run in conditions I will most likely see again in Sabino Canyon. Lucas gave me a call early, and we decided to meet on the road that crosses through Sabino Canyon. The first picture is the trail I ran on to meet him, which I would eventually travel three times during the course of the run. Before crossing paths with Lucas I took the second shot of the cactus. Lucas had his camera too, and while we kept the pace as honest as we could over the good sections of road, we did have to slow down through some patchy sections of ice.
Before moving out of the canyon I snapped this photo from my favorite vantage point in the canyon. At this point the clouds were starting to move in, so I was glad to have gotten in a few shots while I could still see the mountains. From here Lucas and I headed down from Sabino to my usual routes around some of the neighborhoods close to the house, and somehow this shot came out as I ran behind him on the trail next to Sabino Canyon Road.

This run was breathtaking for a guy who is used to suffering through eternal summers, and I won't soon forget it.

Training: 8.6 miles, 59:13, 6:52 pace

11 comments:

Eric said...

Glad you enjoyed the snow. Even though I will see it every day here until May, I still find those pictures strangely interesting. Pretty, even.

Now, if I could just get a day, one day of 70 degree weather...

tb1 said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Great shots. We got a little in Scottsdale but not much.

Marc said...

A beautiful scene indeed.

Eric, don't be so greedy. I'll settle for one day of 40 degree weather...

Randy said...

Awesome pictures. We got about 15 inches in Albuquerque about 3 weeks ago, and more up in the foothills, and parts of the trails are still icy.

Laurie said...

Gorgeous. Thank goodness you remembered your camera this morning.

Mark said...

What a beautiful place to run, it looks so serene. No wonder you have such a good temperament!

angie's pink fuzzy said...

i'm so jealous you got to run in it!

glad you are feeling better :)

Phil said...

Great pictures Mike. I just love seeing pictures of Arizona that demonstrate how pretty the landscape is out here. Hang one of these in your closet to remind you of a great run when you have to set out on 90F+ morning run this summer.

Evan said...

Beautiful. High 20s with light snow on the trail is the perfect run. But why didn't you stay out longer than an hour?!

Mike said...

Thanks everyone. Evan, coming back from sickness + tight achilles + a wife patiently waiting for her own run in the same magic conditions before it all melted.

Dusty said...

Great pictures and post! So beautiful! It snowed in Phx when I was there, but missed my parent's house - bummer!