Saturday, January 06, 2007

Strangely Familiar



Slow start this morning after both kids insisted on seeing the wrong side of 6 am. Haiden woke at 4:30 and was convinced she saw a witch in the shadows cast from her nightlight. After calming her down she was up again at 5, and when she woke for the third time at 5:30 while I was tending to a crying Finn it seemed that any hopes of getting out on the dark streets early had vanished.

Surprisingly enough I had no residual soreness from the 5K time trial on the roads yesterday, and the only pain I'm currently dealing with comes from a stubborn piriformis or sciatic issue that flares up if I sleep on my right side. Obviously I've been sleeping on my right side. I spent a portion of last evening after work lying on a hard, plastic ball that belongs to Finn (he doesn't seem to mind). It's about the size of a raquet ball and it seems to help loosen whatver muscles are giving me trouble back there. Having two children jumping up and down on me while I do this can only help, can't it? The strange thing is that while this can be bothersome when I walk, it magically disappears by three steps into a run.

After two slow miles spent working the kinks out this morning I started to feel good. I could feel the pace getting faster from mile to mile, and by the time I had finished mile 7 it was with some hesitation that I backed off for one last slow mile on the way home. I knew I would be on duty watching our two kids and Angie's son as soon as I got home so that Kiera and Angie could get in their own run, so I wanted to be cooled-down and ready for the morning's real challenge.

Looking at the data afterwards I was pleased to see miles 3-7 work down steadily from 6:55 to 6:17. This run found me feeling like I did a month before the marathon, and I'm looking forward to some more serious training in the coming week.

Training: 8 miles, 55:16, 6:52 pace. Miles in 7:34, 7:49, 6:49, 6:55, 6:37, 6:36, 6:17, 6:51. Feeling good again

3 comments:

Love2Run said...

Nice to see you're feeling good again. I like the desciption for your upcoming 10k: "This is a chance to run your fastest on a pancake-flat, lightning-fast USAT&F Certified 10K course". I mean with a lead-in like that, how can you miss? Good luck with the training.

angie's pink fuzzy said...

and thank you for watching my son :)

now if only there would be fresh hot baked goods upon our arrival back from our runs... ;)

Dusty said...

Nice workout especially with the lack of sleep.

Need any recipes for the baked goods you are being requested to make? hee hee!