Friday, February 02, 2007

Back to the Usual

Today marked my return to back-to-back weekend workouts, and while the moderate paces assigned by the coach should have put today and tomorrow in the "workout-lite" category I found myself working fairly hard this morning. For many weeks during my last marathon build I repeated a workout of seven miles at 6:04 pace or thereabouts depending on how I was recovering. Today the same seven miles were set for 6:20 pace, and while I was able to get the work done the result was tempered by feeling pretty labored through the middle of the workout. I could feel my breathing creeping up on me at just after three miles, and after three fairly good runs in a row I was pretty bummed at the effort it took to hold pace and continue. Just before five miles the legs and lungs finally got the message the brain was delivering: I'm finishing the workout regardless of the size of the anchor I'm dragging. After this epiphany things actually improved.

I'm guessing the legs are just biting back a little bit after a few days of decent mileage, so I shouldn't be too upset. Tomorrow I'm set for 10 at 6:45 pace followed by three miles at the same 6:20. Hopefully I'll lose the anchor by then.

Training: 10 miles, 1:05:31, 6:33 pace, w/7 miles at 6:17 pace

No comments: