Friday, February 23, 2007

Flip of the Switch

I threaded the needle and made it out of the vortex early this morning while everyone was still asleep. I stepped out into the dark, dragged the trash can to the curb and headed off down the road at an easy pace. The race was on my mind as I eased slowly into the run, and while the legs weren't exactly humming I felt pretty relaxed and looked forward to getting to the track for five laps of sharpening work, which included running 300 steady and sprinting the last 100 of each lap. The sprints came easy, and I enjoyed having 300 to recover this week as opposed to the 100 on, 100 off pattern I ran last week.

It was when I stepped off the track and started running back into the neighborhood that I felt it. Any and all cobwebs from being out so early vanished, I had a nice light sweat, and the legs just felt weightless. I could feel the pace coming down with each step, and the body felt like it was working the right way.

I turned off the engine at 8 miles with a smile on my face.

Training: 8 miles, 54:08, 6:46 pace

6 comments:

Yvonne said...

damn, that sounds good! i wish i feel like that one of these days!

Sempre Libera said...

Good luck this weekend!

Thomas said...

Good Luck for the race! Sounds like you're in excellent shape.

Josh said...

Thats a good feeling...!

Michael said...

All the best!

Mike said...

Thanks everyone, guess it's off to the races.