Thursday, February 15, 2007

Kicking Things Around

Winter bit back (well at least winter in Tucson, Arizona) yesterday morning with temperatures in the mid-30's and an unrelenting bitter cold rain. Lucas and I slogged through 10 miles with heads bent down, and it seemed the wind drove the rain into us regardless of which direction we ran. The soggy conditions made me think about how thankful I am that this isn't the norm, as it seems to be for Thomas or Andrew much of the year.

It was nice to get done, especially when we returned to chocolate-chocolate chip muffins (Kiera's Valentine's Day special). I kept trying to get to the computer all day, but things like actual work and an evening run of 6 miles with the Running Shop gang got in the way. Besides wanting to post about my dreary run, I've been trying to look at a few emails from Mystery Coach regarding possible marathon builds. The other day the coach asked in passing if I had considered doing a spring marathon like Fargo with Eric (well, I'd be at least 5 minutes behind Eric but I'd see him at the start). This put some ideas into my head. While I have been thinking about running through the spring and just focusing on shorter races (5K to the half-marathon) and then doing a monster-long build for Chicago in October, I have been encouraged by my daily paces recently as well as the results of my last two weeks of back to back runs. With some planning I could possibly do a late-spring marathon as an "end" to my season, then do a full build starting when I recover and work towards a December marathon like the California International Marathon or Rocket City.

The coach sent along two preliminary plans, one for Chicago and one for a spring and winter marathon. I have to say that after looking at the second plan and then my log I am encouraged by where my paces and conditioning are at now when compared to the same point in my California build last fall. What's a guy to do?

Training: Yesterday morning, 10 miles, 1:07 or so, 6:40ish pace
Yesterday evening, 6.2 miles, 43:14, around 7 minute pace

7 comments:

Dallen said...

I vote for Chicago

Omniscient said...

I vote for Chicago as well.

About the weather....It was Euro half-tight weather this morning much to the chagrin of the prude runners and walkers on the Riverpath who gave me uneasy looks during my tempo run.

See you this Sunday at the Race.

Marc said...

Much rather do cold than cold and wet.

If you choose the spring marathon option and don't want to look at Eric's heels, you are more than welcome to stay here at the camp and run Sugarloaf on May 20. The snow should be gone by then.

Mark said...

my vote goes to Sugarloaf 2007! If I wasn't running Boston it would be the Spring course to hammer

Josh said...

Chicago is a great race and a terrific city...

Eric said...

Sugarloaf? C'mon. How can you sign up for a marathon with the word 'loaf' in the name? You're subliminally setting yourself up for failure.

Far-go, on the other hand, tells it like it is. And we have scones.

Marc said...

Ok, go ahead and run Fargo, but watch out for the wood chipper.