Wednesday, February 07, 2007

More of the Minimum

I made three or four attempts at a post while at work today, but it's simply too busy at work for me to put much thought into writing about running. In fact, just running and surviving the work week is challenging enough so again this will be a short one. I made it out for 13 miles of hilly fun this morning by running the paved road that cuts through Sabino Canyon up to where it dead ends. While I still feel guilty about running in 50 degree temperatures at 6:30, it was tempered today by 10 or so creek crossings (5 up and the same 5 back) through fast-moving, ankle-deep snow melt from the Catalina mountains. I kept a steady but not grinding pace, and by the time I was out of the canyon and running the last three miles through the neighborhoods by my house I was ready to be done.

It's Kiera's birthday today, and she celebrated by making waffles with a new waffle iron, bacon, and muffins. So much for any hope of a caloric debt.

Training: 13 miles, 1:30:20, 6:59 pace, hilly

7 comments:

Phil said...

Happy birthday to Kiera!

Isn't it grand to have Sabino Canyon open again. After reading about the hardships our friends are having back east, you're probably not going to get a lot of sympathy over a few stream crossings in 50F weather.

Great run. Hope work lets up a bit for you.

Thomas said...

Poor Kiera has to make her own waffles on her birthday!

Happy birthday Kiera. I think Mike is begging to be left starving for a while.

Eric said...

Happy Birthday, Kiera!

Isn't it one of the Sins of Marriage to give your wife an appliance as a gift? Mike, you may want to re-read Hansel and Gretel--that part about fattening the kids up...

I don't know. Just putting it out there. =)

Mike said...

Phil, I really enjoy being so close to the canyon and having it open again. I do sure miss the Phoneline trail though.

Thomas, Kiera really did go overboard on the cooking and baking. Unfortunately we both get screwed on the birthday thing, with hers always falling during the busiest week of work for me all year, and mine falling during the second-most busy while I'm always away for an art auction. I did skip the evening run to be around for her birthday dinner though (oh, I guess when her sister-in-law makes the meal it doesn't help my case).

Eric, I was a hero one year when I bought Kiera a big Kitchenaid mixer (until then she did her baking with a hand-mixer), but I've been married long enough to not buy her anything that requires or encourages her work even harder around the house since then. The waffle iron was from a friend, and it's been more of a gift to me than anyone. She ended up with a fancy camera lens, which probably means even more photos of the kids here.

Blaxabbath said...

She made you bacon on her birthday?? What a babe.

Eric said...

oh ohohooh! Camera geek here. What did she get?

I just got a fixed 50mm 1.8 for my D50. I love it. I can finally take pics indoors without the awful built in flash. I haven't had the cash to spring for a $200 flash unit, and lord knows I'm not enough of a photographer to deserve it yet...

Mike said...

Eric, we have the D50 too and like it quite a bit. I got Kiera this mega zoom so Kiera can get even closer shots of Finn's boogers. At the gallery I use the Canon 30D, which I actually prefer to the Nikon, and I just got this macro lens. It blows away the stock zoom lens for optics and all that other technical crap.

I'm with you Blax, but you don't have to suck up to Kiera. She'll always have scones for you on Sunday.